Job offersmore »
- Inside Sales Coordinator - USA
- Sales Engineer, Water - The Netherlands
- Crop care supervisor - Australia
- Nursery Systems Manager - Australia
- GENERAL / FARM MANAGER - India
- Grower / Ag scientist - Australia
- Technical/ Product Representative, Russia
- Technical/ Product Representative, India
- Retail Chain Manager - Russia
- Business Advisor - China
Last commentsmore »
- Terra Nova Nurseries introduces heat-loving heucherella variety (10)
- For sale: 10 brand new Cummins natural gas generators (7)
- India: Government gives 50% subsidy on a poly house (601)
- Milestones, lessons from California’s historic drought (11)
- "Plum Power forever" (6)
- Dutch grower supplies plants to world's biggest cruise ship (12)
Top 5 - yesterday
- "Better shelf life, bigger and whiter flowers"
- US: Relief efforts underway for hurricane-impacted florists
- Best practices for commercial greenhouse construction projects
- Fresh Market Conference in Warsaw draws more international visitors
- Frans-Peter Dechering Commercial Director at Schoneveld Breeding
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
US: The story behind RocketLiners traysFor years, Van Belle were known in North America for our jumbo-sized ornamental young plants. Their true four inch liner was the engine of growth for finished grower partners over the last decade. Now, that engine got a serious upgrade.
This guy standing on a RocketLiner tray to show off its durability is Diego Martinez. He’s Head Grower at Van Belle, and the person responsible for the innovation. He knew that with the right scientific research, more could be achieved with the classic product. In 2014 Diego set out on his mission.
Van Belle Nursery gets a lot of rain. Plants love the natural irrigation, but it can become too much for young plant root systems. Better drainage became the nursery's first priority for a new rooting container.
Diego discovered that root training could improve with deeper vertical channels inside the rooting container. Called breathing channels, they train the roots to go down instead of circling to root-bound issues. Sufficient root training channels became another priority on this quest.
Years of results show that the size of the classic liners provided unique advantages for Van Belle's customers. They allowed for potting straight into a 2 or 3 gallon pot, effectively removing the extra step to first grow a small pot before stepping up to a larger container. This saves a grower production costs as well as turnover speed. Therefore, they knew that the new product needed to be at least the volume as before.
No pot or tray on the market gave the company every improvement they wanted. So, they did what they normally do in this situation; they designed the solution ourselves.
The patented RocketLiner trays feature improved drainage, root training and 9% more volume than the classic liner. The results are greater fresh root mass, stronger, more adaptable roots, and plants that finish with great quality.
Van Belle witnessed the benefits in their own finished container business and knew that if it worked for them, it would work for their partners.
Some growers are reporting that RocketLiners are finishing weeks earlier than they’ve previously experienced.
For more information:
Van Belle Nursery
34825 Hallert Road
Abbotsford, BC V3G 1R3
Toll Free: 1-888-826-2355
Publication date: 5/19/2017
Other news in this sector:
Leave a comment: (max. 500 characters)
- All comments which are not related to the article contents will be removed.
- All comments with non-related commercial content, will be removed.
- All comments with offensive language, will be removed.