Job offersmore »
- Nursery Systems Manager - Australia
- GENERAL / FARM MANAGER - Australia
- Grower / Ag scientist - Australia
- Technical/ Product Representative, Russia
- Technical/ Product Representative, India
- Retail Chain Manager - Russia
- Business Advisor - China
- Production Manager - Australia
- Production Manager - Australia
- Packing Facility Manager - AU
Last commentsmore »
- India: Government gives 50% subsidy on a poly house (593)
- Dutch grower supplies plants to world's biggest cruise ship (11)
- For sale: 10 brand new Cummins natural gas generators (5)
- Terra Nova Nurseries introduces heat-loving heucherella variety (8)
- Milestones, lessons from California’s historic drought (8)
- "Plum Power forever" (4)
- Netherlands: How flowers are being unpacked, prepared for the auction (1)
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
California Association of Flower Growers and Shippers
"Still blooming through the ages after 75 years"The California Association of Flowers and Shippers held its bi-annual convention, “Fun ‘N Sun”, last August 9-12, 2017 in “The Village by the Sea”, Carlsbad, California. Lourdes Reyes, BallSB Marketing Director, shares her thoughts.
This year, the association celebrated 75 years serving the California flower growers and shippers. CalFlowers, then known as NORCAL was formed when Japanese and Italian flower farms in the Bay Area joined forces to address shipping issues around 1941.
After the traditional Golf Tournament, the convention started with the “All California flower display” in the Grand Foyer of the Park Hyatt Aviara Resort, Golf and Spa.
The splendor of the master pieces using California flowers was witnessed as one took the opportunity to greet old friends and to make new friends in the Welcome Reception Cocktail Party.
The outdoor dining experience incorporating CalFlowers aspirational theme “More Americans, enjoying more flowers, more often” captured in clear and simple terms, the Association's focus. Floral designs that were popular across the decades since CalFlowers was formed were displayed in the Black and White affair celebrating the 75 years of the association.
A picture display of the members' storied histories “All Who have contributed to the California floral Industry” was also enjoyed.
One of the highlights was the Farm tour, and three of the southern California’s best-known customers facilities were visited.
- Dramm and Echter Inc. where Gerberas, Lilies, Roses and succulents fill 950,000 square feet of greenhouse space
- Kendall Farm, a family owned and operated flower farm. Located in the hills of Rainbow, CA. Kendall Farms micro climate creates the perfect conditions for growing South African and Australian blooms as well as greens and USA blooms produced with Ball Seeds
- Mellano & Company. Operating since 1925, bringing high quality flowers to the market is what they do since then. Also a family owned business. They are bringing back the “CA grown Gypsophila” with Ball’s Gyp “Mirabella”.
The “Flower fair exhibit” at the convention gave the chance to preview the many booths and table top exhibits where the California flowers shined with colors, new varieties and innovative designs plus the “All Educational Sessions” gave the attendees a clear view of the thriving revival of the proudly California grown flowers.
For more information
Publication date: 9/7/2017
Other news in this sector:
Leave a comment: (max. 500 characters)
- All comments which are not related to the article contents will be removed.
- All comments with non-related commercial content, will be removed.
- All comments with offensive language, will be removed.