- Product Manager / Concept Manager - Verspakketten - Ridderkerk
- District sales manager - British Columbia and Alberta, Canada
- Grower - Carlisle, Pa. USA
- Account Manager - Melbourne, Australia
- Grower - Australia
- Director of Marketing & Communications - Summerland (BC), Canada
- Lead Auditor
- Quality Assurance Team EA Region - Antwerp - Quality Assurance Supervisor
- Medior Sales Engineer - Netherlands
- General Manager Australia
- Australia: Opportunity to comment on national tree standard revision (1)
- Schroll is developing the hydrangea production in Portugal (3)
- US: AFE educational grant applications due June 1 (2)
- "Plenty of opportunities to expand markets outside Russia's major cities" (1)
- Coloured by Gerbera presents new assortment (1)
- "Customers are looking for different shades of red roses" (1)
- US: Is the era of thermal transfer printers over? (2)
- India: Government gives 50% subsidy on a poly house (46)
- Southern hemisphere's largest solar water heating facility at LVG Plants (1)
- Photoreport: Horticontact (1)
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last month
Top 5 -last week
- Organisers of HortEx Vietnam concluded 3 kick off meetings for coming 2019 edition
- UK: Wyevale Garden Centres agrees sale of five of its largest garden centres to Dobbies Garden Centres
- Skimmia: November Garden Plant of the Month
- Fancy staying at an aquaponic hotel?
- Creating hand-tied bouquets at full speed
Better Christmas ahead for Ethiopian growers
After 'green week'
"Last week and this week, it is the so-called 'green week' in Europe and people are then buying Christmas products like trees, poinsettias and so on. Like usual, the demand for cut roses is then very low during that time, but will increase a bit later. Next week, on Wednesday, we will start shipping out the Christmas flowers", says Magara.
Reds and whites
For Christmas the red and white cut roses are in high demand and at Roshanara, these are important colors too. Around 25 percent of their 15ha farm is planted with red varieties and around 20 percent with whites. Just like the demand, the prices for these colors will increase too. "The demand for these colors increase by around 35 to 40 percent and the prices by around the same percentage too."
In contrast to last year, Magara is quite pleased with the weather this year. "Last year, we have had very cold temperatures, even some frosts. It damaged some crops and the quality of the product was less than usual", he says. "This year, however, the temperatures are still a bit lower than usual, but not as low that it is affecting the quality of the crop. Only the productivity of it decreases due to the lower temperatures, but that is usual."
Roshanara Roses grows roses in a 15ha rose farm in Holeta, Ethiopia. Christmas, together with Mother's Day and Valentine's Day are their most important seasons. They sell directly to the Europe market. Even though, they are not on the auction, but they always keep an eye on the clock as it also influences the demand for their flowers during these days.
For more information
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 10/22/2018 UK: Vlogging, boosting, and targeting your consumer at the HTA Marketing Forum
- 10/17/2018 US (FL): Jet Fresh Flower creates preserved rose pink ribbon
- 10/16/2018 US (FL): Dewar Nurseries launches new family-owned brand: Elizabeth & Alexandra
- 10/15/2018 Home Garden Conference: how to reach the next generations?
- 10/12/2018 Tour operator births horticultural tourism in Kenya
- 10/11/2018 The changing face of plant retail
- 10/10/2018 Winners of first American Grown Flowers Month merchandising contest announced
- 10/10/2018 Bringing garden benefits to America’s most vulnerable children
- 10/10/2018 New export platform for Belgian agricultural products
- 10/08/2018 Pyracantha: October Garden Plant of the Month
- 10/08/2018 Rose Parade efforts in full swing
- 10/08/2018 US (MI): Spring Meadow raises $1 million for cancer cure
- 10/08/2018 American Flowers Week 2019 branding unveiled
- 10/05/2018 OZ Planten's Nathan & Elfrieda prepare for construction trip to Guatemala
- 10/05/2018 Ethiopia: OVC Center inaugurated in Koka
- 10/04/2018 US (FL): Jet Fresh opens doors and supports breast cancer awareness
- 10/02/2018 US (FL): A traffic manager’s perspective on flowers
- 10/02/2018 Flower Council of Holland launches new campaign
- 09/28/2018 “You don’t necessarily need a professional photo studio”
- 09/27/2018 US: 2nd annual #FlowerLoveVideoContest kicks off October 1