- Flower Bulb and Perennial Sales Position - Portland (Oregon) USA
- Plant Production Scientist - Brooklyn (NY) USA
- Greenhouse Assistant Grower - Abbotsford (B.C.) Canada
- Technical Sales Representative - South Western Ontario, Canada
- Farm Manager - West Africa
- Managing Agronomist - Surinam
- Vegetal Material Programme Leader - Cisterna di Latina (Latium), Italy
- Head of Sales North America - Sacramento (CA) USA
- Inkoop Specialist Holland Product - Netherlands
- Vegetable Grower - Australia
- Australia: Opportunity to comment on national tree standard revision (1)
- Schroll is developing the hydrangea production in Portugal (3)
- US: AFE educational grant applications due June 1 (2)
- "Plenty of opportunities to expand markets outside Russia's major cities" (1)
- Coloured by Gerbera presents new assortment (1)
- "Customers are looking for different shades of red roses" (1)
- US: Is the era of thermal transfer printers over? (2)
- India: Government gives 50% subsidy on a poly house (46)
- Southern hemisphere's largest solar water heating facility at LVG Plants (1)
- Photoreport: Horticontact (1)
Top 5 -yesterday
- US (CA): SAF announces winners of Outstanding Varieties Competition
- Ambassadors say reforms in Ethiopia will attract investors
- CA: Tournament of Roses Announces 2019 Float Judges
- US: Shirley Lyons named 2018 Tom Butler "Floral Retailer of the Year"
- UK: Maximising Christmas sales with visual merchandising
Top 5 -last month
Top 5 -last week
Per Christensen, Gartneriet Tingdal:
Danish greens grower expands with first own bred peperomias
Per Christensen at the IPM Essen 2018.
Since 2002, Tingdal is growing greens in a 2.2 ha greenhouse in Odense and decided to expand to 3.5 ha last year. "Over the last three years, the demand for green plants increased sharply and we were not able to meet the demand anymore", says Per Christensen, owner of the company. So, when we heard about a greenhouse nearby that was for rent, we immediately decided to do it. It is not a new greenhouse, but it has a up to date internal transportation system. This equipment made it very interesting for us to start renting it as labor costs are high in Denmark." Last spring, they have grown their bedding plants in this 'new' greenhouse.
New Peperomia Menduza.
Next to the expansion in production, Christensen is also expanding his assortment. From the very beginning, the Peperomia is the main product of Gartneriet Tingdal, but over the years they started to add other products in small quantities. Christensen expanded its product range with Monstera, Pilea, Philodendron, Alocasia and Ficus, Chocolate Cosmos, Garden Cosmos, Petunia and other bedding plants. The greens of Gartneriet Tingdal all fit in their so called ‘Green Interior’ and ‘Permium Collection’ concept and some of their latest introductions to this concept are the fern, Alocasia and Ficus. Christensen started to grow the Ferns in 2016 and the other products in 2017 and 2018.
New Peperomia Brasila.
Own bred peperomias
Their latest novelty is about to enter the market and it is their first own bred peperomia from seed. "About 5 years ago, we got the idea and desire to find new peperomia varieties and we therefore started crossing our own peperomias from seed." It has been quite a challenge, but after 3 years of breeding they could start trialing their first varieties and they trialed them for two years. From these trials, the two most successful varieties were chosen; Menduza and Brasila. Special about these varieties is the color of the leaves. "Brasila has very dark, almost black, leaves with red underneath and Menduza has silver leaves with green veins and is red underneath as well." These two new varieties will be ready to enter the market in April.
For more information
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 09/20/2018 US: AFE awards more than $42,800 in 2018 scholarships
- 09/20/2018 Ecuador: Naranjo presents new brand image
- 09/20/2018 Russia: Outdoor rose grower keeps expanding
- 09/19/2018 Ecuador: Breeders and growers open their doors
- 09/14/2018 Australia: Greenhouse growers tour Woolgoolga
- 09/14/2018 Colombia: 250 chrysanthemum varieties at Delishow 2018
- 09/14/2018 US (VA): Year-round greenhouse draws tourists' attention to family farm
- 09/12/2018 US (MI): Flower farms transform vacant lots on Detroit’s east side
- 09/12/2018 UK: HTA meets with Secretary of State to discuss water use by growers
- 09/10/2018 UK: Student wins SWGS Sponsored Scholarship
- 09/10/2018 CAN (ON): Farmer-florists are a growing trend
- 09/07/2018 US: Behind the scenes at Michigan greenhouses
- 09/06/2018 It’s Daylily Time
- 09/06/2018 "US: Ohio Greenhouse Awarded "Vendor of the Year"
- 09/05/2018 EU: Cold and warmth shortened garden orchid season
- 09/05/2018 NL: Berg RoseS starts selling fresh wax roses
- 09/05/2018 Flores El Capiro celebrates 10 years of sending flowers by sea
- 09/04/2018 US (TX): First tulip festival in Waxahachie to benefit residents with IDD
- 09/04/2018 Grower in the spotlight: the biggest calathea grower in the world
- 09/04/2018 Subsidiary Schroll Flowers to produce cannabis