Job offersmore »
- Engineer support in agricultural sciences - Switzerland
- Farm Manager - Perth, Western Australia
- Expansion manager
- Horticultural Specialist - Emeryville (CA) USA
- Sales Manager Europe Division
- Grower - Delta, (OH) USA
- Export Sales - Perth, Australia
- Production Manager Indonesia - Magelang/Central Java, Indonesia
- Director ASIA Research Station Operations - Bangkok, Thailand
- Spécialiste Technique et commercial Biocontrôle pour l’Ouest de la France
Last commentsmore »
- "I tested my growing media, now what?" (19)
- Colombian plant growers to get nursery research center (10)
- UK: What's in season at the New Covent Garden Flower Market (22)
- "25% annual production growth Mexican phalaenopsis" (34)
- Dancing in a Dutch orchid greenhouse (1)
- Germany: Landgard begins marketing offensive for “Frag die Pflanze” (2)
- From Kilimanjaro to Perligran (1)
- India: Government gives 50% subsidy on a poly house (1226)
- Could this be Ethiopia's new dawn? (7)
- Stone paper to substitute plastic? (1)
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Dutch power company Nuon
NL: Royal van Zanten on sustainability and energy efficiencyIn a series of articles Dutch power company Nuon helps businesses to get a better grasp on their energy consumption. Tips are also provided on environmentally-friendly and energy-efficient solutions. Royal Van Zanten, has been a Nuon partner for years. In this article and video below (in Dutch), the company explains what sustainability means to them.
”The biggest contribution we can make”
For Royal Van Zanten, being environmentally responsible means more than just energy self-sufficiency and making our energy portfolio more environmentally friendly. "We want to make our own products – the plants – more energy efficient. We create varieties that can grow with less heat or less cooling. That’s what we breed for. This is how we enable our customers to cultivate in a more energy efficient manner,” according to Sjoukje Heimovaara, CEO of the company. According to hin, ths is the most important contribution Royal Van Zanten can make to a more sustainable world.
Sustainability tips for businesses
Royal Van Zanten has taken steps towards sustainability in all areas, and this has given the company a lot of expertise. Sjoukje Heimovaara and Arjan Krijgsman have the following insights to share:
"Sustainability is not a fad that will pass. There still are growers and companies that believe they can continue with business as usual, but consumers want eco-friendly products. You really don’t have a choice if you want to stay competitive."
"Think about what your role is in the agricultural supply chain and what impact you could have on improving sustainability of the industry as a whole. For us that role is giving plants more sustainable traits."
"Make sure you have a good overview of planning and production with a minimum of waste. Producing something you don’t need is the least sustainable thing you can do. Look at the energy consumption per product. It makes little sense to be sustainable and then to produce less."
"Don’t feel like you have to figure this out alone. The energy market is very complex and dynamic, and there is a lot of expertise available that can help you on your way."
For more information:
Royal van Zanten
1435 EW Rijsenhout
T : +31 (0)297 387000
M: +31 (0)6 835 26 251
Publication date: 3/13/2018
Other news in this sector:
Leave a comment: (max. 500 characters)
- All comments which are not related to the article contents will be removed.
- All comments with non-related commercial content, will be removed.
- All comments with offensive language, will be removed.