Job offersmore »
- Horticultural Specialist - Emeryville (CA) USA
- Sales Manager Europe Division
- Grower - Delta, (OH) USA
- Export Sales - Perth, Australia
- Production Manager Indonesia - Magelang/Central Java, Indonesia
- Director ASIA Research Station Operations - Bangkok, Thailand
- Spécialiste Technique et commercial Biocontrôle pour l’Ouest de la France
- Technical sales Specialist North Europe - Benelux and Scandinavia
- Grower Manager - Tuakau, New Zealand
- Sales representative - (TN, KY, NC, SC and GA) USA
Last commentsmore »
- Women's Day: "Russian market is growing up" (158)
- Will sea freight be an alternative to Latin American air freight? (243)
- India: Government gives 50% subsidy on a poly house (1237)
- Grower tickled pink with Pink Kisses from Portugal (6)
- "Hydrangea market finally develops in a more quality oriented direction" (3)
- "25% annual production growth Mexican phalaenopsis" (35)
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news has been published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Russia: Year-round vegetables under Polar conditionsOutside, the temperatures drop to below -20 degrees Celsius, but inside the Severodvinsk greenhouse, vegetables are growing year-round.
Elena Borovina, the greenhouse owner, says that in addition to lettuce, dill and parsley, they grow less common crops like basil, rucola, Swiss chard, spinach, sorrel, cilantro and chives.
December 26, the greenhouse started seeding the main crops, and the first cucumber harvest is expected this month. Tomatoes are expected to ripen later, around the middle of April.
In numbers, the greenhouse acreage is divided as follows: around 0.3 ha is occupied with tomatoes, 0.5 ha are occupied with seedlings and greens, 2.2 ha are dedicated to cucumbers.
While the greenhouse focuses on vegetables, they also provide young plants to customers like a drama theatre, a central department store, hotels, administrative buildings, garden centers and many others. The most popular varieties are the ones resistant to the conditions of the cold northern summer, for example viola and pelargonium.
Despite these clients, the greenhouse complex is still dependent on contributions from the local budget that partly compensate expenses, which include a monthly gas bill of 57,000 euros.
Publication date: 3/12/2018
Other news in this sector:
Leave a comment: (max. 500 characters)
- All comments which are not related to the article contents will be removed.
- All comments with non-related commercial content, will be removed.
- All comments with offensive language, will be removed.