Job Offers

"Tweeting Growers"

Reactions more

Top 5 -yesterday

Top 5 -last month

Top 5 -last week

Spain: Over 7 million roses expected to be sold this Sant Jordi

Last Friday, Mercabarna-flor presented the prospects for the marketing of roses this Sant Jordi in an event chaired by the Councillor for Business, Tourism, Trade and Markets of the City of Barcelona and the President of Mercabarna, Agustí Colom. They were accompanied by the President of the Association of Entrepreneurs and Wholesalers of Mercabarna-flor, Miquel Batlle, and the General Director of Mercabarna, Josep Tejedo.

Mercabarna wholesalers are optimistic about the forecasts: more than 7 million roses are expected to be sold, which is 20% more than last year.

The president of Mercabarna, Agustí Colom, said that Mercabarna-flor expects to sell 1.2 million roses more than in last year's campaign, when some 6 million were sold. Colom stressed that "the main reason for the good sales forecast is the fact that Catalonia’s National Day is going to be a working day, as that gives an overall boost to the demand for roses, especially to that from companies and associations." In recent years, there has also been a significant growth in the demand for roses from the hospitality and catering sector. These factors, together with the gradual economic recovery that is being achieved in some sectors, explain this increase in the sales forecast.

Wholesalers have also detected a significant increase in the number of orders for yellow roses. It is estimated that out of all the roses sold this year, 10% will be yellow ones, while in previous years these normally account for between 2% and 3% of the total. According to the flower specialists, this year's trend will be to purchase yellow roses in combination with red ones.

Mercabarna-flor expects to sell one third of all roses sold in Catalonia; that is, almost 2.5 million units.

The president of Mercabarna, Agustí Colom, pointed out that "Sant Jordi is one of the most important events for the Catalan floral sector; a day in which 30% of all roses marketed in Catalonia during the entire year are sold."

Trends in packaging
The trend favouring the use of ecological packaging, first observed a few seasons ago, continues. Consequently, plastic and cellophane are losing ground to cardboard wrappers, reinforced paper, wood and iron supports.

In this National Day, sales are also expected to increase for yellow arrangements and accessories. This growth is estimated to oscillate between 15 and 30%, especially in the case of ribbons and wrappings.

Prices remain stable
As explained by the President of the Association of Entrepreneurs and Wholesalers of Mercabarna-flor, Miquel Batlle, wholesaler prices are very similar to those reached last year, mostly due to the good availability of roses from Ecuador and Colombia.
Batlle recalled that "to make sure that you purchase a good quality, long-lasting rose, it is advisable to purchase them from professional florists."

Most popular varieties
The Freedom variety will be the absolute star of this National Day, accounting for 80% of sales and consolidating as the favourite rose both for professionals and customers. The second most sold rose is the Red Naomi, which comes from the Netherlands, which will account for 15% of all roses sold.

Miquel Batlle assured that "traditional red roses will remain the most popular, accounting for 85% of all roses sold", but he explained that this Sant Jordi will also be marked by a rise in the demand for yellow roses, which are expected to account for about 10% of all sales.

In order to meet this demand for yellow roses, given the low number of local rose producers delivering this colour, the varieties that will be sold will come from Colombia, the Netherlands and Ecuador.

Main origins of roses
Batlle explained that 95% of the roses sold in Mercabarna-flor are imported, from Colombia, Ecuador and the Netherlands, while the other 5% are produced domestically.

For more information:
Roser Lapuente Camins
Communications Manager
93 556 35 08 / 93 556 00 00/ 610 59 50 24

Publication date :


Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here

Other news in this sector:

© 2018