- Grower - Australia
- Director of Marketing & Communications - Summerland (BC), Canada
- Lead Auditor
- Quality Assurance Team EA Region - Antwerp - Quality Assurance Supervisor
- Medior Sales Engineer - Netherlands
- General Manager Australia
- Chief plant protection agronomist
- Сhief agronomist
- Head of Sales for Mexico and Latin America
- Finance Manager for a Leading International Fresh Produce Business
- Australia: Opportunity to comment on national tree standard revision (1)
- Schroll is developing the hydrangea production in Portugal (3)
- US: AFE educational grant applications due June 1 (2)
- "Plenty of opportunities to expand markets outside Russia's major cities" (1)
- Coloured by Gerbera presents new assortment (1)
- "Customers are looking for different shades of red roses" (1)
- US: Is the era of thermal transfer printers over? (2)
- India: Government gives 50% subsidy on a poly house (46)
- Southern hemisphere's largest solar water heating facility at LVG Plants (1)
- Photoreport: Horticontact (1)
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last month
Top 5 -last week
These MBAs just launched an urban farming startup in Hong Kong
The first concept city farm opened in Hong Kong’s Causeway Bay in February this year. Over 100 species of organic food products—rare herbs and edible flowers—are grown in a controlled environment without soil, using mineral nutrient solutions dissolved in water instead.
Farmacy HK—fully operational since early April—is already selling its produce to two restaurants in Hong Kong and is exploring B2C opportunities with retailers online. The team expect to sell out the entire farm’s produce in just six months’ time.
Woody Chen, an HKU MBA alumnus, worked for his family’s construction business in his native Taiwan prior to his MBA. His interest in urban agriculture piqued after reading an article about a former Sony Corporation semiconductor factory in Japan that had been transformed into the world’s largest hydroponic farm.
Living in Hong Kong during his MBA, Woody found that he couldn’t buy the high quality, fresh vegetables he was used to in the local supermarkets. Taiwan is well-known for its agriculture but in Hong Kong there’s no land for farming; most food is imported.
Woody decided to put his nascent startup idea into action. He enrolled in the HKU MBA’s famed Business Lab, an elective course which takes students through every step of the startup process, from idea conception to launch.
“I wanted to put what I’ve learnt during the MBA into practice,” Woody explains, “to use the Business Lab to come up with an idea that fits Hong Kong, is good for society, and harnesses technology as well.”
At the start of the Business Lab, Woody got up on stage and pitched his idea to his MBA classmates. So, the Farmacy HK team was born.
Read the complete article on businessbecause.com
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 10/16/2018 Fancy staying at an aquaponic hotel?
- 10/15/2018 Gerbera cultivation in India
- 10/12/2018 China: How to effectively stop loss in flower production after a rainstorm?
- 10/08/2018 HSI invests in Kenya
- 10/08/2018 Schneider assortment extended once more
- 10/05/2018 India: "Agro-climatic conditions in the Nilgiris suitable for commercial orchid cultivation"
- 10/04/2018 Christmas tree production in containers
- 10/04/2018 STEM Podcast: Demystifying Perennial Production
- 10/03/2018 India: Blending organic farming with floriculture
- 09/26/2018 US (CA): Proposals open for 2019 specialty crop grants
- 09/26/2018 Dutch orchid grower to build its own cutting production facility
- 09/21/2018 Combining floriculture and vertical farming
- 09/21/2018 California to build first large-scale water storage after 40 years
- 09/19/2018 US: Identifying opportunities to promote water conservation
- 09/19/2018 Molybdenum and Magnesium deficiency in poinsettia
- 09/17/2018 Czech scientists make progress in microscopic examination of plants
- 09/12/2018 US (KY): First test plot of malaria-fighting plant a success
- 09/11/2018 How to grow the best quality roses?
- 09/05/2018 Education grant for Spanish language access to online grower courses
- 09/03/2018 Propagation container company expands into South Africa