Job offersmore »
- Hydroponic Crop Manager - Tahiti
- Manager Operational Excellence - El Salvador
- Area Manager North Europe - The Netherlands
- Senior Veredelaar Bloemen
- Consultant - Head of Sales or Greenhouse Owner
- Consultant - Head Grower of Greenhouse
- IPM Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Labor Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Assistant Farm Manager - Australia
- New Product Development Assistant Manager
Last commentsmore »
- Eurovision winner to baptize Jamala tulip at Flower Expo Ukraine (1)
- India: Government gives 50% subsidy on a poly house (1230)
- Cool night temperatures induce crown buds in garden mums (1)
- Kenya: Cut flower exports up 16 percent (1)
- Fertil improves its biodegradable pots (1)
- Daylily flowers help China's anti-poverty campaign to bloom (2)
- Parfum Flower Company organizes trip to Kenya for florists (1)
- Hydrangea Runaway Bride 'Snow White' named Plant of the Year (1)
- Influencing plant growth with LED light (1)
- Kenya: Mount Elgon Orchards expands with 2ha (1)
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Evelyn Elwell and Janet Walter, Walter’s Greenhouse
US (VA): 'Home is where the greenhouse is'Evelyn Elwell and Janet Walter are taking care of business, their family business started by their mom. “It was 1985 when I decided I should help my husband put my three daughters through university,” said Rosalin Walter, former owner of Walter’s Greenhouse.
Watch the video at WDBJ7.
Janet has a horticulture degree. Evelyn says, “My degree is in interior design, and I did do that for two-and-a-half years, but I really missed the greenhouse so I came back.”
And you know they had the best training. “I lived on a farm in Canada and we did different vegetables and tobacco and we did have a greenhouse. Several greenhouses actually so I learned about the plants that were popular at that time in a very small scale,” explained Rosalin.
Rosalin retired several years ago, but she still comes into work every day.
“Mom has always been a doer. She can't necessarily get it out of her system. It's right outside here door. So she will come down here, literally just to be with her girls,” said Janet.
Tenacity must run in the family. It keeps these sisters working seven days a week. Even men who come to the greenhouse are impressed.
“They're question is, ‘Well who fixes that, or who does that?’ And Janet and I do. We take care of it. We're very capable women,” Evelyn said.
Just two sisters, their mom, and greenhouses full of plants. “It's just something we thoroughly love,” Rosalin said.
Publication date: 5/16/2018
Other news in this sector:
Leave a comment: (max. 500 characters)
- All comments which are not related to the article contents will be removed.
- All comments with non-related commercial content, will be removed.
- All comments with offensive language, will be removed.