Job offersmore »
- Engineer support in agricultural sciences - Switzerland
- Farm Manager - Perth, Western Australia
- Expansion manager
- Horticultural Specialist - Emeryville (CA) USA
- Sales Manager Europe Division
- Grower - Delta, (OH) USA
- Export Sales - Perth, Australia
- Production Manager Indonesia - Magelang/Central Java, Indonesia
- Director ASIA Research Station Operations - Bangkok, Thailand
- Spécialiste Technique et commercial Biocontrôle pour l’Ouest de la France
Last commentsmore »
- Colombian plant growers to get nursery research center (9)
- Women's Day: "Russian market is growing up" (152)
- Universities breed new varieties and careers (1)
- First record of the fungus Blumeriella kerriae in the UK (1)
- Schroll is developing the hydrangea production in Portugal (2)
- USA Bouquet Company joins forces with Dutch Flower Group’s Retail Division (1)
- The journey of Mother's Day flowers captured in pictures (1)
- UK: Senecio ‘Angel Wings’ wins new product award at Glee (1)
- "Hydrangea market finally develops in a more quality oriented direction" (2)
- India: "High potential for orchid cultivation in Odisha" (3)
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Selling 5 million Ugandan Fairtrade poinsettiasIn the Fairtrade Cents pilot project launched last year, Wagagai (a nursery for young plants in Uganda), import partner Selecta One and Fairtrade International want workers on the farm to earn a 'fair' wage. For each sold Fairtrade poinsettia, a few cents go into a separate bonus fund, which supplements the income of workers on the plantation. For example, in 2017, this made it possible to pay a 13th month salary to the workers on the Wagagai plantation.
For this year, plans are even more ambitious. The aim is to sell at least 5 million Fair Trade poinsettias in 2018, which would amount to about 10% of the total production of Wagagai. As a result, the wages of each employee would rise substantially, even to the equivalent of about 5 months worth of salary.
For more information:
The story of Wagagai
Towards a living wage at poinsettia farms
Source: Hivos & Fairtrade
Publication date: 6/12/2018
Other news in this sector:
Leave a comment: (max. 500 characters)
- All comments which are not related to the article contents will be removed.
- All comments with non-related commercial content, will be removed.
- All comments with offensive language, will be removed.