Job offersmore »
- Hydroponic Crop Manager - Tahiti
- Manager Operational Excellence - El Salvador
- Area Manager North Europe - The Netherlands
- Senior Veredelaar Bloemen
- Consultant - Head of Sales or Greenhouse Owner
- Consultant - Head Grower of Greenhouse
- IPM Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Labor Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Assistant Farm Manager - Australia
- New Product Development Assistant Manager
Last commentsmore »
- Bidens & Calibrachoa take center stage at Danziger Flower Trials display (7)
- US (OK): Specialty crop grants available (7)
- Anthura reintroduces Cypripedium in Switzerland (7)
- US (CA): Flower farms threatened by fires (7)
- Guatemala: Dümmen Orange worried about missing employees (12)
- Why B.C.’s floriculture industry is blooming in challenging times (12)
- China: Oboya signs broad cooperation agreement (16)
- Sneak peek California Spring Trials (13)
- Australia: Pesticide usage and effective phytotoxicity management (13)
- Little robot looks after plants (12)
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news has been published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- US (SD): Family reflects on 47 years in the greenhouse business
- Denmark: New series of bio roses named with champagne
- Cool night temperatures induce crown buds in garden mums
- Pakistan: Opportunities for floriculture and greenhouse techniques
- Australia: "Imported flowers carry pests that risk agriculture industries"
Exchange ratesmore »
FloraHolland employee sacked over anniversary party
An employee of Royal FloraHolland was fired because the celebration of his 12.5-year anniversary at the job crossed quite a few lines. A Dutch court judged that a speech laced with criticism, and a scantily-clad lady, were justified grounds for dismissal.
Imagine working at the auction for 12.5 years. Reason for a big party, you'd think. A Royal FloraHolland employee had his own ideas in this regard. His employer gave him a budget of 125 euros to celebrate the occasion. The man decided to use the money to treat his colleagues to snacks and soup.
There was another surprise, however: a stripper in the FloraHolland cafeteria. The thirty people invited, as well as other colleagues, watched as she treated the men to a bit more than just snacks and soup. And if that wasn't enough, the man had also brought a microphone and speaker. He proceeded to hold a speech in which he criticized his superiors, and complained that FloraHolland doesn't listen to employees.
The auction was less amused with the party, and started a procedure to dissolve the man's contract. The latter didn't agree: he admitted the striptease act wasn't the smartest thing to do, but he had worked at the auction for 12.5 years to full satisfaction, calling the party a 'one-off incident'.
The judge wasn't impressed by the man's apology though, and ruled in favor of Royal FloraHolland. The trust was damaged - partly because the man himself had hired the stripper and lied about it - and the man now has to look for a new employer.
Read the full sentence here (in Dutch).
Publication date: 6/7/2018
Other news in this sector:
Leave a comment: (max. 500 characters)
- All comments which are not related to the article contents will be removed.
- All comments with non-related commercial content, will be removed.
- All comments with offensive language, will be removed.