Job offersmore »
- Engineer support in agricultural sciences - Switzerland
- Farm Manager - Perth, Western Australia
- Expansion manager
- Horticultural Specialist - Emeryville (CA) USA
- Sales Manager Europe Division
- Grower - Delta, (OH) USA
- Export Sales - Perth, Australia
- Production Manager Indonesia - Magelang/Central Java, Indonesia
- Director ASIA Research Station Operations - Bangkok, Thailand
- Spécialiste Technique et commercial Biocontrôle pour l’Ouest de la France
Last commentsmore »
- Colombian plant growers to get nursery research center (9)
- Women's Day: "Russian market is growing up" (152)
- Universities breed new varieties and careers (1)
- First record of the fungus Blumeriella kerriae in the UK (1)
- Schroll is developing the hydrangea production in Portugal (2)
- USA Bouquet Company joins forces with Dutch Flower Group’s Retail Division (1)
- The journey of Mother's Day flowers captured in pictures (1)
- UK: Senecio ‘Angel Wings’ wins new product award at Glee (1)
- "Hydrangea market finally develops in a more quality oriented direction" (2)
- India: "High potential for orchid cultivation in Odisha" (3)
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
FloraHolland employee sacked over anniversary party
An employee of Royal FloraHolland was fired because the celebration of his 12.5-year anniversary at the job crossed quite a few lines. A Dutch court judged that a speech laced with criticism, and a scantily-clad lady, were justified grounds for dismissal.
Imagine working at the auction for 12.5 years. Reason for a big party, you'd think. A Royal FloraHolland employee had his own ideas in this regard. His employer gave him a budget of 125 euros to celebrate the occasion. The man decided to use the money to treat his colleagues to snacks and soup.
There was another surprise, however: a stripper in the FloraHolland cafeteria. The thirty people invited, as well as other colleagues, watched as she treated the men to a bit more than just snacks and soup. And if that wasn't enough, the man had also brought a microphone and speaker. He proceeded to hold a speech in which he criticized his superiors, and complained that FloraHolland doesn't listen to employees.
The auction was less amused with the party, and started a procedure to dissolve the man's contract. The latter didn't agree: he admitted the striptease act wasn't the smartest thing to do, but he had worked at the auction for 12.5 years to full satisfaction, calling the party a 'one-off incident'.
The judge wasn't impressed by the man's apology though, and ruled in favor of Royal FloraHolland. The trust was damaged - partly because the man himself had hired the stripper and lied about it - and the man now has to look for a new employer.
Read the full sentence here (in Dutch).
Publication date: 6/7/2018
Other news in this sector:
Leave a comment: (max. 500 characters)
- All comments which are not related to the article contents will be removed.
- All comments with non-related commercial content, will be removed.
- All comments with offensive language, will be removed.