Job offersmore »
- Hydroponic Crop Manager - Tahiti
- Manager Operational Excellence - El Salvador
- Area Manager North Europe - The Netherlands
- Senior Veredelaar Bloemen
- Consultant - Head of Sales or Greenhouse Owner
- Consultant - Head Grower of Greenhouse
- IPM Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Labor Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Assistant Farm Manager - Australia
- New Product Development Assistant Manager
Last commentsmore »
- Eurovision winner to baptize Jamala tulip at Flower Expo Ukraine (1)
- India: Government gives 50% subsidy on a poly house (1230)
- Cool night temperatures induce crown buds in garden mums (1)
- Kenya: Cut flower exports up 16 percent (1)
- Fertil improves its biodegradable pots (1)
- Daylily flowers help China's anti-poverty campaign to bloom (2)
- Parfum Flower Company organizes trip to Kenya for florists (1)
- Hydrangea Runaway Bride 'Snow White' named Plant of the Year (1)
- Influencing plant growth with LED light (1)
- Kenya: Mount Elgon Orchards expands with 2ha (1)
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
August 10-12 and 17-19, New Park
US (PA): 2nd Annual Sunflower Festival offers pick-your-own patch
Sunflowers are the "Happiest Crop on Earth" at Maple Lawn Farms, host of the 2nd Annual Sunflower Festival Aug 10-12 and 17-19, 2018. The farmers have tripled the size of the field and doubled the number of varieties planted for 2018's event.
This year's field, the size of 10 football fields combined, features special plantings in 10 display gardens highlighting the wide variety of sunflowers. No longer limited to a single yellow blossom, guests walk among fiery orange starbursts, dark crimson reds, lemon yellows, and "Teddy Bear" puff-ball-shaped flowers.
"Sunflowers capture the hearts of young and old alike," says Hugh McPherson, now the head sunflower farmer at Maple Lawn Farms. "Visiting the field just brings joy to your heart and a smile to your face."
The kids' area is called "Land of the Giants" and is planted with Skyscraper, Kong and Russian Mammoth varieties that can grow up to 12-feet-tall. Thousands of the giant sunflowers were planted by hand into shapes for guests to explore. The towering flowers are surrounded by a field of dwarf puff-ball variety creating a huge contrast.
"It's just so fun to watch guests discover new, different varieties, shapes and colors," says Jenny Clendenen, Maple Lawn Farms Event Manager. "It's not just for kids, but everyone feels like a kid."
Maple Lawn Farms offers pick-your-own cherries, blueberries, peaches, apples and pumpkins, so offering pick-your-own sunflowers fits right in. Each guest gets to hand select their favorite sunflower bloom to clip, pick and take home. Additional sunflowers by the half dozen or dozen are available as well, each cut fresh from the field.
Guests park at the Farm Market, then take a wagon ride to the sunflower patch. Inside the sunflower field, a huge white tent awaits visitors providing shade, food service, LIVE music, and Maple Lawn Farm Market's Bakery treats. The on-site Maple Lawn Winery offers wine tastings and wine by the glass for guests 21 years or older.
"It is an Instagrammers dream," says Michelle Posey, Maple Lawn Winery's sales manager. "The shapes, sizes, colors are incredible. Nothing like this field of flowers exists anywhere to get your pictures!"
The 2017 Festival completely sold out, so attendees are required to pre-purchase tickets by day to ensure everyone gets plenty of time to enjoy the sunflowers.
To reserve tickets for the Sunflower Festival at Maple Lawn Farms go to www.SunflowerFestivalPA.com, click in the Facebook Fan Box and become a "Fan" for updates and special events. Fruit picking and farm market information is available at www.maplelawnfarms.com.
Publication date: 8/6/2018
Other news in this sector:
Leave a comment: (max. 500 characters)
- All comments which are not related to the article contents will be removed.
- All comments with non-related commercial content, will be removed.
- All comments with offensive language, will be removed.