Job offersmore »
- Hydroponic Crop Manager - Tahiti
- Manager Operational Excellence - El Salvador
- Area Manager North Europe - The Netherlands
- Senior Veredelaar Bloemen
- Consultant - Head of Sales or Greenhouse Owner
- Consultant - Head Grower of Greenhouse
- IPM Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Labor Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Assistant Farm Manager - Australia
- New Product Development Assistant Manager
Last commentsmore »
- Eurovision winner to baptize Jamala tulip at Flower Expo Ukraine (1)
- India: Government gives 50% subsidy on a poly house (1230)
- Cool night temperatures induce crown buds in garden mums (1)
- Kenya: Cut flower exports up 16 percent (1)
- Fertil improves its biodegradable pots (1)
- Daylily flowers help China's anti-poverty campaign to bloom (2)
- Parfum Flower Company organizes trip to Kenya for florists (1)
- Hydrangea Runaway Bride 'Snow White' named Plant of the Year (1)
- Influencing plant growth with LED light (1)
- Kenya: Mount Elgon Orchards expands with 2ha (1)
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Ecuadorian growers dealing with unusual weather
Damaged greenhouses and a decreased rose production. These problems were reported by some Ecuadorian rose growers as a result of the unusual and variable weather throughout the country. Over the last few weeks, it has been raining or was very dry, winds were strong, temperatures low and last Saturday, there was even heavy snowfall in the high mountains. Fortunately, the weather is starting to improve and the demand from Europe has been low.
The summers in Ecuador are mostly characterized by dry weather with sunny days, cold nights and winds. This year, however, it was different in many parts of the country. "The nights and early mornings were very cold (around 3 degrees Celsius, but they could go as low as -4), reaching 25+ at noon", says a rose grower who has a farm in the country's capital, Quito.
And very unusual for this time of the year is the snowfall. Last Saturday, the high mountains all over the country were covered with snow during the night and the early morning. "Some roads were even blocked with ice", says another rose grower who is based in Lasso, Cotopaxi.
Click here to see the video of the snow fall on El Universo.
And then there's the strong winds. During this time of the year, the winds are usually strong, but this year, they seem to be stronger. "In the Cayambe region, the winds were the strongest, around 95 km per hour, and here in Cotapaxi, they were about 70 km per hour", says the Lasso based grower.
Several farms were affected by the weather, but the extent varies particularly in regards to the damage greenhouses sustained by the wind. Most farms deal with a bit higher occurrence of fungus diseases due to the wet weather, and some greenhouse plastics were damaged by the winds. "We had damage to our plastics within the normal ranges for this season", says a grower based in the Cayambe region.
Unfortunately, we have heard worse cases. The farm of the Quito-based grower was damaged heavily and very dry weather made it worse. "The strong winds damaged around 5 hectares; plastic was torn apart which causes damage to the plants and increase of 'oidium', a fungus that develops in dry weather; most of the damage caused by this fungus is to foliage. We cannot export roses with this disease", he says.
It is the summer season, which means a low demand. On top of that, demand was pushed down even further due to the heatwave in Europe. So, all in all, the lower production has not been catastrophic for many growers. However, demand is expected to increase soon as more flowers are demanded for September 1st, the first day of school for Russian children. On this day, celebrated all over the country, many children present their teachers with flowers. It is one of the most important days for Ecuadorian growers.
This week, the weather conditions improved and are expected to return to normal by next week.
Other news in this sector:
Leave a comment: (max. 500 characters)
- All comments which are not related to the article contents will be removed.
- All comments with non-related commercial content, will be removed.
- All comments with offensive language, will be removed.