- General Manager/Sales Manager - Mannum, South Australia
- Produce sales professionals
- Salesman - Vojvodina, North Serbia
- Internationaal Verkoper / Trader AGF - Barendrecht
- Production lab manager - Oregon, USA
- Verkoper Groothandelsmarkten - Rotterdam
- Procurement Executive - Middle East
- Experienced export manager looking for new opportunities
- Sales Executive Fruit & Exotics - Rotterdam
- Product Manager / Concept Manager - Verspakketten - Ridderkerk
- Australia: Opportunity to comment on national tree standard revision (1)
- Schroll is developing the hydrangea production in Portugal (3)
- US: AFE educational grant applications due June 1 (2)
- "Plenty of opportunities to expand markets outside Russia's major cities" (1)
- Coloured by Gerbera presents new assortment (1)
- "Customers are looking for different shades of red roses" (1)
- US: Is the era of thermal transfer printers over? (2)
- India: Government gives 50% subsidy on a poly house (46)
- Southern hemisphere's largest solar water heating facility at LVG Plants (1)
- Photoreport: Horticontact (1)
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last month
Top 5 -last week
Waterless flower packaging with extended shelf life
Explaining the technology, Bas Groeneweg, director of PerfoTec, explained that the shelf life of flowers can be extended using the AMAP (Active Modified Atmospheric Packaging) technology, which is already used in fresh fruits and vegetables. However, the humidity inside the packaging of flowers during transport can create diseases such as botrytis, which was a major challenge. This was when Uflex, an Indian flexible packaging solutions company, bought PerfoTec Systems for India while it was facing similar issues with mangoes due to the tropical nature of the produce.
Ashok Chaturvedi, chairman and managing director of Uflex, was happy to accept the challenge and the team at Uflex developed a new biodegradable film, Flexfresh, which could keep the product breathing in hydrated oxygen and release excess humidity keeping the flowers dry.
Using PerfoTec’s Fast Respiration Meter, the oxygen demand of flowers is measured, and using a patented laser technology makes micro perforations on Flexfresh film to allow enough oxygen for the flowers to stay alive and prevent excess oxidation. The flowers are “put to sleep” and can go without water for five days as the humidity is fed back in to the flower when it continues to breathe. Once the package is received by the customer and opened, the bouquet remains fresh in a vase for at least a guaranteed seven days.
The technology was demonstrated to the Dutch Flower Group (DFG). One of DFG’s retail clients is the first launching partner and has now successfully integrated flowers into their grocery home delivery service – without the hassle of using water and cooling facilities.
Flowers packed in Flow Wrap machine at Velp, Netherlands
Picture of grocery home delivery Flower Pack
Another early adopter in the market is internet flower startup BloomPost, which delivers flowers throughout Europe without the use of water. Dave van Stijn, CEO of Bloompost, says that he is excited about the opportunities that the new offering has created. He sees major E-commerce companies and Retailers around the world embrace this technology to bring enormous savings.
Uflex has offered this film to PerfoTec exclusively for Europe, Americas and Africa, which they say are the major markets for PerfoTec’s customers. Bas Groeneweg adds that the industry launch of this new packaging solution for flowers will be done at the United Fresh Show, which will be held in Chicago from June 20-22, 2016.
For more information:
3449 JB Woerden
T: +31 (0)297 25 55 54
Corporate Office, A-107-108 Sector IV
Noida, Uttar Pradesh, India 201301
T: +91 120 4012339
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2018-11-12 The impact of sustainable packaging on the floral industry
- 2018-11-05 'Bloomguard' sleeve now also for cut flowers and orchids
- 2018-11-05 Clever packaging concept makes headway
- 2018-11-05 Vaselife International to introduce 100% compostable packaging for cut flower food powder sachets
- 2018-10-31 Easier to recycle pots now available
- 2018-10-26 Waterless Internet Flower Packaging wins top honors at Sustainability Awards 2018
- 2018-10-25 MEPs back EU ban on throwaway plastics by 2021
- 2018-10-19 Modiform’s EcoExpert tray in auctions tray rebate scheme
- 2018-10-17 "Biodegradable film is ideal for flowers"
- 2018-10-04 UK: Recyclable pots arrive at Hillier Nurseries
- 2018-10-02 CAN (ON): Horta-Craft showcases new labels at CGC
- 2018-09-17 Waterless Internet Flower Packaging wins packaging award
- 2018-09-12 "We can take other countries as role models for European horticulture"
- 2018-09-07 As of January 1, 2019: New German Packaging Act
- 2018-09-04 Desch expands its eco-friendly range
- 2018-09-03 UK nursery replaces black pots for recyclable taupe pots
- 2018-08-07 New foot switch pipe-rail trolleys is more ergonomic
- 2018-07-18 Plastic as part of a sustainable solution
- 2018-07-06 "Trying to make a difference, however small"
- 2018-07-03 US: New trellis adds value - night and day