Job offersmore »
- Area Manager Russia
- Machine Operator Buitendienst
- Grower (cucumbers) - Australia
- Business Development Manager - The Netherlands
- Greenhouse Construction Workers - U.S.
- (Senior) Werkvoorbereider/Engineer Kas Plus - Netherlands
- International Account Manager - Netherlands
- Business Advisor - China
- Account Manager for Technical Horticultural Greenhouse Products - Canada
- Floriculture Sales and Marketing Professional
Last commentsmore »
- India: Government gives 50% subsidy on a poly house (450)
- In 2016 we visited 26 trade shows and shot 5,054 pictures! (1)
- Kenyan rose production falls short of international demand (2)
- China gets slap on the wrist for illegal copying Dutch varieties (1)
- US: Growers respond to GM petunia news (1)
- Photoreport: Horticontact (1)
- Veiling Rhein-Maas expands Premium Quality label to lilies (3)
- US (FL): Bromeliad expert about hybridyzing bromeliads (1)
- India: "High potential for orchid cultivation in Odisha" (1)
- "Fight against thrips is not only won above ground" (1)
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
The function of limestone in growing mediaLimestone is commonly used in the manufacturing of growing media. It is mostly added to offset the acidity of components such as peat moss and pine bark, and to bring a growing medium's pH up into the 5.5-6.5 range, which is ideal for most crops.
Greenhouse growers know that in order to achieve optimum nutrient availability for plant growth, the growing medium's pH for most crops should be in the 5.5-6.5 pH range. The standard base components in most soilless media, peat moss and composted pine bark, have a pH in the range of 3.5-5.0.
This is too low for most crops and requires the use of limestone to bring the growing medium's pH up into the ideal range.
The quantity and choice of limestone used to increase the growing medium's pH is a function of several factors, including:
- the growing medium's components;
- the type of limestone;
- the particle size of the limestone used.
Read more at PRO-MIX
Publication date: 11/16/2016
Other news in this sector:
Leave a comment: (max. 500 characters)
- All comments which are not related to the article contents will be removed.
- All comments with non-related commercial content, will be removed.
- All comments with offensive language, will be removed.