Job offersmore »
- Technical Sales Representative Trainee - Ancaster, Ontario
- International Account Manager City Farming - Horticulture LED Solutions
- CEO for a leading Agri-Business working on an international basis
- Greenhouse Operations Lead - Alberta, Canada
- Commercial Head Grower - Newark, NJ (USA)
- IPM & Pollination Specialist (ornamentals) - Western Europe
- Regional Sales Manager - USA
- General Manager Operations - Australia
- International Account manager Horticulture LED Solutions - Netherlands
- Plant Specialist Horticulture Northern Europe
Last commentsmore »
- India: Government gives 50% subsidy on a poly house (673)
- Dutch grower supplies plants to world's biggest cruise ship (27)
- Terra Nova Nurseries introduces heat-loving heucherella variety (25)
- For sale: 10 brand new Cummins natural gas generators (16)
- "Plum Power forever" (17)
- Milestones, lessons from California’s historic drought (24)
- Kenya: Rimi Flora to triple in size (1)
- How can we make millennials purchase flowers again? (1)
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
The function of limestone in growing mediaLimestone is commonly used in the manufacturing of growing media. It is mostly added to offset the acidity of components such as peat moss and pine bark, and to bring a growing medium's pH up into the 5.5-6.5 range, which is ideal for most crops.
Greenhouse growers know that in order to achieve optimum nutrient availability for plant growth, the growing medium's pH for most crops should be in the 5.5-6.5 pH range. The standard base components in most soilless media, peat moss and composted pine bark, have a pH in the range of 3.5-5.0.
This is too low for most crops and requires the use of limestone to bring the growing medium's pH up into the ideal range.
The quantity and choice of limestone used to increase the growing medium's pH is a function of several factors, including:
- the growing medium's components;
- the type of limestone;
- the particle size of the limestone used.
Read more at PRO-MIX
Publication date: 11/16/2016
Other news in this sector:
Leave a comment: (max. 500 characters)
- All comments which are not related to the article contents will be removed.
- All comments with non-related commercial content, will be removed.
- All comments with offensive language, will be removed.