Job offersmore »
- Technical Sales Representative Trainee - Ancaster, Ontario
- International Account Manager City Farming - Horticulture LED Solutions
- CEO for a leading Agri-Business working on an international basis
- Greenhouse Operations Lead - Alberta, Canada
- Commercial Head Grower - Newark, NJ (USA)
- IPM & Pollination Specialist (ornamentals) - Western Europe
- Regional Sales Manager - USA
- General Manager Operations - Australia
- International Account manager Horticulture LED Solutions - Netherlands
- Plant Specialist Horticulture Northern Europe
Last commentsmore »
- India: Government gives 50% subsidy on a poly house (664)
- Terra Nova Nurseries introduces heat-loving heucherella variety (22)
- Dutch grower supplies plants to world's biggest cruise ship (22)
- For sale: 10 brand new Cummins natural gas generators (13)
- Milestones, lessons from California’s historic drought (22)
- "Plum Power forever" (16)
- Kenya: Rimi Flora to triple in size (1)
- How can we make millennials purchase flowers again? (1)
- Sunflowers stand or fall with the weather (1)
- Take a look inside the greenhouse of a Dutch succulent grower (2)
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Newcomer at the auction: Flower by the Hour
NL: Product from grower to buyer within 2 hours
Distribution is key. The shorter the sales chain, the better. Although growers and exporters find each other online with increasing ease, that doesn’t necessarily mean faster delivery of the product to the buyer. A big step can be taken here by having part of the stock already present at the auction before the time of sale, so that it can then be delivered to the buyer’s box immediately after. A newcomer at the auction, Flower by the Hour, makes this possible.
Arno Zondag in the middle, with box employees Marcel and Wesley left and right.
We’re talking to Arno Zondag, Business Consultant and co-founder of the company. A year ago, he wrote a strategic plan for Rob Groenigen and Alex Kessel, directors at Dutch, kcv wholesaler Molenaar & Van Groenigen. The plan was based on the principle of putting the grower and exporter first, instead of the brokering/their own livelihood. After extensively having consulted grower and exporter, everyone turned out to share the same conviction: Online sales are the future, but distribution needs to be improved.
Arno: "This is how we do it. We have cold stores in Aalsmeer, the Netherlands, and offer growers both cold and unrefrigerated flexible square meters. We encourage them to bring a supply for the clock – which for most is still the biggest sales opportunity – but to also store part with us. Sales can then be made through any online sales platform. We don’t intervene in any way. But once a sale is made, we guarantee delivery (as of one cask!) to the buyer’s box within two hours. That’s new and it really makes the sales chain shorter and more efficient."
It should be emphasized that this is not the same as auction presales. "The auction says: maximum 30% through presales. We don’t have that, for this reason: we don’t intervene in the grower-exporter relationship. More importantly: with auction presales the buyer still needs to wait until delivery is made. With us it’s within two hours. In practice, it’s usually within the hour but as a safety margin we guarantee within two hours."
The fast delivery means a greater advantage for both grower and exporter. By delivering within two hours there are potential benefits in terms of stock management and logistics – and in the end also financially. "After having done a trial with one grower – Pure Gerbera’s – for the last 4 weeks, the ball can now really start rolling: growers who want to use this competitive advantage are most welcome!"
For more information:Flower by the Hour
M: 06-55 98 07 42
Publication date: 11/17/2016
Other news in this sector:
Leave a comment: (max. 500 characters)
- All comments which are not related to the article contents will be removed.
- All comments with non-related commercial content, will be removed.
- All comments with offensive language, will be removed.