Job offersmore »
- Commercieel Logistiek/Inkoop medewerker - Aalsmeer, NL
- Manager/Director R&D Operations - Japan
- Senior Grower – Tomatoes, Australia
- Sales Manager - Europe
- Distribution Manager - Fort Worth DC, TX USA
- Greenhouse supervisor - Lisianthus propagator
- Technical Sales Representative - Canada
- Export Project Manager - Bergschenhoek
- Senior Technical Manager – United Kingdom
- In-House Horticultural Consultant - Lodi, OH
Last commentsmore »
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
US (AL): Dixie Green grows 250,000 poinsettias a yearDixie Green grows 250,000 vibrant Christmas poinsettias each year, hitting stores from Thanksgiving on. Plants are distributed by Young’s, a plant wholesaler in Auburn.
It’s a record that makes the Richardson brothers proud. In the 1970s, the family never dreamed they’d have such success.
“We started with one greenhouse in the mid-70s, with a 20-ft. by 96-ft. greenhouse and a camper shell on a pickup truck,” said Hank Richardson, who shares company ownership with brothers Jerry and Harlan’s families “Over the years we’ve sold to independent garden centers, Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Sears, Woolworth’s and almost all the major chains such as Lowe’s and Home Depot.”
“At Disneyworld, we deliver 60,000 to 80,000 poinsettias, mostly used at the Magic Kingdom and Epcot Center,” he said. “They’re seen by people from all over the world. Red is traditional for Christmas, but some of the other colors are really pretty, too. We grow half a dozen colors.” The company ships poinsettias as far west as Kansas, into eastern Oklahoma and to Washington, D.C., and to North Carolina and “everything in between.”
With the ever-increasing demand, Dixie Green makes yearly, small expansions to its 14-acre site.
Read more at Alabama NewsCenter
Publication date: 12/22/2016
Other news in this sector:
Leave a comment: (max. 500 characters)
- All comments which are not related to the article contents will be removed.
- All comments with non-related commercial content, will be removed.
- All comments with offensive language, will be removed.