Job offersmore »
- Head Grower, Retractable Roof Shadehouse - Wedgecarrup, Australia
- National Nursery Manager - Melbourne, Australia
- Lighting Applications Specialist (Horticulture) - Beamsville, Ontario, Canada
- Gärtner für den konventionellen Gemüsebau - Austria
- Expert vegetable farm manager/master grower seeking for his next position
- Horticulture Advisor - The Hague, the Netherlands
- Growing Manager - Victoria, Australia
- Service Engineer - Almeria, Spain
- Horticultural Consultant - Sydney, Australia
- Technical Assistant - East Malling (Kent), UK
Last commentsmore »
- India: Government gives 50% subsidy on a poly house (833)
- Will sea freight be an alternative to Latin American air freight? (7)
- "25% annual production growth Mexican phalaenopsis" (2)
- Preview FlowerTrials 2017: Novelties highlighted (1)
- India: The story of KF Bioplants (1)
- "Nursery industry shines at blossoming international floriculture trade" (1)
- "Horticulture in Iran can be an alternative to petroleum" (5)
- Netherlands 50 million stems a year at V.d. Berg Roses (1)
- Update from Dümmen Orange infected begonia cuttings (1)
- US: Congressman visits florist (1)
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Two SIVAL Innovation Award nominations for BiobestTwo unique Biobest developments – one macrobial, the other microbial - have been shortlisted for the prestigious SIVAL Innovation Award 2017.
The new Sphaerophoria-System is simplifying and transforming aphid control in French pepper crops while Prestop 4B is the first biofungicide registered in France to be applied by entomovectoring using Flying Doctors hives.
Overcoming aphid challenges
A new robust aphid control based on the pupae of Sphaerophoria rueppellii, the predatory Sphaerophoria-System is helping overcome this challenging pest.
With a plethora of aphid species attacking horticultural crops, until now preventative biocontrol strategies have predominantly relied on a mix of parasitoids - each with a specific and often narrow host range.
“Sphaerophoria rueppellii will go searching actively and fly long distances to detect even incipient colonies of aphid”, explains Yann Jacques, Biobest product manager for Macrobials. “Sphaerophoria-System adds a preventative dimension and complements our existing aphid parasitoid and predator range. We are proud to offer this unique solution to the growers, as a result of a fruitful collaboration with BioNostrum, a spin-off from the University of Alicante.”
Commonly known as hoverfly, Sphaerophoria rueppellii is native to Europe and Mediterranean countries and predates on several key aphid species including Macrosiphum euphorbiae. This predator can also survive while feeding on other pests such as whitefly, thrips and spider mites.
While to-date work has mainly focused on sweet peppers, Sphaerophoria-System is also poised to improve aphid control in a range of other flowering vegetable, soft fruit and ornamental crops.
Prestop 4B - for application by bees
A new formulation of the Lallemand Plant Care biofungicide, Prestop is the first biopesticide registered in France for application by entomovectoring using our Flying Doctors hives. The product is commercialized as Prestop 4B.
Developed to simplify and improve the distribution and performance of this important biofungicide in soft fruit crops, Prestop 4B is exclusively marketed by Biobest.
“Prestop 4B contains a high concentration of the mycelia and spores of the highly aggressive, naturally occurring soil fungus Gliocladium catenulatum Strain J1446,” says Sarah Van Beneden, Biobest product manager for Microbials. “It has been isolated for its ability to control several important, and potentially costly, plant fungal diseases including control grey mould (Botrytis cinerea) in strawberries and raspberries.”
To treat strawberry crops in France, Prestop 4B will be sold as part of a new ‘Combi-Pack Prestop’ containing 6 kg of Prestop plus 400g of Prestop 4B - sufficient to treat 5,000m2.
While Prestop is not registered for spray application in raspberry crops in France, the good news is that Prestop 4B does have the necessary approval to be applied via Flying Doctors in raspberries.
The winner of the SIVAL Innovations Award will be announced on the first day of the trade show, held in Angers, on January 17, 2017.
For more information
Biobest Belgium NV
Ilse Velden 18
2260 Westerlo - Belgium
T +32 14 25 79 80
F +32 14 25 79 82
Publication date: 12/21/2016
Other news in this sector:
Leave a comment: (max. 500 characters)
- All comments which are not related to the article contents will be removed.
- All comments with non-related commercial content, will be removed.
- All comments with offensive language, will be removed.