Job offersmore »
- General Manager, King George, Virginia, United States
- Grower Manager Lettuce & Herbs - Malaysia
- Account Manager - Netherlands
- International Account Manager Tomato
- Experienced Tomato Grower - China
- CITRUS COMMERCIAL - Spain
- Account Manager Groene Ruimte en Pest Control Nederland
- Junior Accountmanager
- Junior Sales Engineer
- Junior Sales Engineer
Last commentsmore »
- Romania: Flower demand up for Valentine’s Day, Dragobete (1)
- Florists wanted for British Flowers Week photoshoot (1)
- India: Government gives 50% subsidy on a poly house (396)
- Roses Forever's new spray rose remembers John Williams (1)
- Second edition Flower Expo Poland now open for registration (1)
- Ethiopia: "Employees are our most valuable assets" (1)
- Taiwan: Taichung to host flora expo in 2018 (1)
- New orchid found in Costa Rica (1)
- How do you develop biological pesticides? (1)
- NL: A look behind the scenes at alstroemeria breeder, propagator (1)
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Kenyan garden center ventures into farmingOn his farm, Alan Kang’ethe and his people propagate and grow a wide range of pot plants such as cacti, anthuriums and begonias, streptocarpous and medinella, and even exotic orchids and other species suited for the low-light environments common in offices.
He has divided his farming operation into three competing units, thus further stimulating quality.
The Garden Centre has been in the family since the 1950s, when it was started by Kang’ethe’s late grandfather, Gitunyu, who sold to “the colonialists”.
He grew his flowers and other horticultural produce in Banana Hill, Kiambu, bringing them to the City Market, and the family’s first shop was on Market Street.
In 1969, it was bought by Kang’ethe’s father, Thomas Kahara, who took over the reins of the blooming business. Yes, blooming.
Now Alan Kang’ethe, to whom his parents in turn passed the business, runs two more branches — in Sarit Centre and Yaya Centre, and he will soon open one at the Two Rivers Mall.
Read more at Business Daily
Publication date: 1/5/2017
Other news in this sector:
Leave a comment: (max. 500 characters)
- All comments which are not related to the article contents will be removed.
- All comments with non-related commercial content, will be removed.
- All comments with offensive language, will be removed.