Job offersmore »
- Assistant Grower - United States
- General Manager (Portugal)
- IPM & Pollination Specialist (ornamentals) - Western Europe
- Sales and Marketing Representative - Canada (British Columbia)
- Werken op een groene productie locatie in Afrika?
- Site Manager - UK
- Avocado Industry Data Analyst - Australia
- Assistant farm manager
- Plant breeder or molecular biologist (Denmark)
- Post-Harvest Senior Manager Required- Kenya
Last commentsmore »
- India: Government gives 50% subsidy on a poly house (425)
- Kenya: Senate probes working conditions on flower farms (1)
- Weight, drain and real time plant activity analysis become grower's sixth sense (1)
- Terra Nova offers sneak peek of 'peacock tail' begonia (1)
- Romania: Flower demand up for Valentine’s Day, Dragobete (1)
- Florists wanted for British Flowers Week photoshoot (1)
- Roses Forever's new spray rose remembers John Williams (1)
- Second edition Flower Expo Poland now open for registration (1)
- Ethiopia: "Employees are our most valuable assets" (1)
- Taiwan: Taichung to host flora expo in 2018 (1)
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news has been published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
US (MD): Bell Nursery sustainability efforts recognizedBell Nursery has been recognized by the Green Business Certification Program and has earned a listing in the Montgomery County Green Business Directory. The Green Business Certification Program is a voluntary recognition program managed by the County's Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) in partnership with the Montgomery County Chamber of Commerce (MCCC).
The Green Business Certification Program empowers County businesses to prosper while reducing impacts on the environment. The program also encourages local consumers and other businesses to consider Certified Green Businesses when making purchasing decisions.
For the past seven years, Bell Nursery has received the distinguished Veriflora Sustainably Grown certification from SCS Global Services, a worldwide third-party certifier of environmental, sustainability and agricultural product quality claims.
'We strive to do the right thing every day to benefit future generations,' said Cole Mangum, vice president of production for Bell Nursery. 'We continue to be one of a small group of big-box suppliers able to meet the criteria for this program. Receiving certification under this gold standard meant passing a multi-day inspection to prove we meet or exceed benchmarks for sustainable-crop production, product quality, employee safety, ecosystem protection, and product purity.
'The Green Business Certification Program is an umbrella program that recognizes businesses certified through a number of robust third party standards,' said Doug Weisburger who manages the Program. 'Once we learned of Bell's Veriflora certification, and understood the level of commitment the standard demanded, we simply folded it into our Program.'
'One of the things that impressed us most about Bell Nursery's commitment to sustainability was their willingness to grow milkweed plants so that local residents could plant this critically important food source for the Monarch Butterfly,' said Barbara Ashe, Executive Vice President of the MCCC. 'In fact, we were so taken with Bell's efforts that we recognized the company as 'Visionary of the Year' at our Annual Dinner.'
'Producers of Veriflora Sustainably Grown crops work diligently to provide a safe and healthy work environment, support farm communities, and protect vital environmental resources such as clean air, clean water, and wildlife habitat, while reducing energy consumption and carbon emissions,' said Lesley Sykes, SCS Manager of Sustainable Agriculture.
For more information:
Montgomery County's Green Business Certification Program
Publication date: 1/6/2017
Other news in this sector:
Leave a comment: (max. 500 characters)
- All comments which are not related to the article contents will be removed.
- All comments with non-related commercial content, will be removed.
- All comments with offensive language, will be removed.