Job offersmore »
- Outside Technical Sales Position, Horticulture - Canada
- Area Manager Russia
- Machine Operator Buitendienst
- Grower (cucumbers) - Australia
- Business Development Manager - The Netherlands
- Greenhouse Construction Workers - U.S.
- (Senior) Werkvoorbereider/Engineer Kas Plus - Netherlands
- International Account Manager - Netherlands
- Business Advisor - China
- Account Manager for Technical Horticultural Greenhouse Products - Canada
Last commentsmore »
- India: Government gives 50% subsidy on a poly house (454)
- Veiling Rhein-Maas expands Premium Quality label to lilies (4)
- In 2016 we visited 26 trade shows and shot 5,054 pictures! (1)
- Kenyan rose production falls short of international demand (2)
- China gets slap on the wrist for illegal copying Dutch varieties (1)
- US: Growers respond to GM petunia news (1)
- Photoreport: Horticontact (1)
- US (FL): Bromeliad expert about hybridyzing bromeliads (1)
- India: "High potential for orchid cultivation in Odisha" (1)
- "Fight against thrips is not only won above ground" (1)
Top 5 - yesterday
- Brazil: Despite crisis, opportunities for growth
- How the bumblebee coincidentally saved the greenhouse industry
- US (CA): Monterey County helps former flower growers switch to marijuana
- NL: Cut flower prices under pressure by warm weather and French holiday
- Chrysanthemum blooming test of Royal van Zanten Colombia
Top 5 - last week
- Wabara expands into new markets with exclusive partnerships
- US (IL): Sunshine delphinium named in honor of John Simko
- Father and sons team harvests sunflowers for British Flowers Week
- Germany: VB Group builds 'Elite' greenhouse for Dümmen Orange
- Wildfire transitions to full hydroponic rose cultivation
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
US (MD): Bell Nursery sustainability efforts recognizedBell Nursery has been recognized by the Green Business Certification Program and has earned a listing in the Montgomery County Green Business Directory. The Green Business Certification Program is a voluntary recognition program managed by the County's Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) in partnership with the Montgomery County Chamber of Commerce (MCCC).
The Green Business Certification Program empowers County businesses to prosper while reducing impacts on the environment. The program also encourages local consumers and other businesses to consider Certified Green Businesses when making purchasing decisions.
For the past seven years, Bell Nursery has received the distinguished Veriflora Sustainably Grown certification from SCS Global Services, a worldwide third-party certifier of environmental, sustainability and agricultural product quality claims.
'We strive to do the right thing every day to benefit future generations,' said Cole Mangum, vice president of production for Bell Nursery. 'We continue to be one of a small group of big-box suppliers able to meet the criteria for this program. Receiving certification under this gold standard meant passing a multi-day inspection to prove we meet or exceed benchmarks for sustainable-crop production, product quality, employee safety, ecosystem protection, and product purity.
'The Green Business Certification Program is an umbrella program that recognizes businesses certified through a number of robust third party standards,' said Doug Weisburger who manages the Program. 'Once we learned of Bell's Veriflora certification, and understood the level of commitment the standard demanded, we simply folded it into our Program.'
'One of the things that impressed us most about Bell Nursery's commitment to sustainability was their willingness to grow milkweed plants so that local residents could plant this critically important food source for the Monarch Butterfly,' said Barbara Ashe, Executive Vice President of the MCCC. 'In fact, we were so taken with Bell's efforts that we recognized the company as 'Visionary of the Year' at our Annual Dinner.'
'Producers of Veriflora Sustainably Grown crops work diligently to provide a safe and healthy work environment, support farm communities, and protect vital environmental resources such as clean air, clean water, and wildlife habitat, while reducing energy consumption and carbon emissions,' said Lesley Sykes, SCS Manager of Sustainable Agriculture.
For more information:
Montgomery County's Green Business Certification Program
Publication date: 1/6/2017
Other news in this sector:
Leave a comment: (max. 500 characters)
- All comments which are not related to the article contents will be removed.
- All comments with non-related commercial content, will be removed.
- All comments with offensive language, will be removed.