Job offersmore »
- Nursery Systems Manager - Australia
- Assistant Professor of Landscape Architecture - Davis (CA), USA
- Technical Sales Representative Trainee - Ancaster, Ontario
- International Account Manager City Farming - Horticulture LED Solutions
- CEO for a leading Agri-Business working on an international basis
- Greenhouse Operations Lead - Alberta, Canada
- Commercial Head Grower - Newark, NJ (USA)
- IPM & Pollination Specialist (ornamentals) - Western Europe
- Regional Sales Manager - USA
- General Manager Operations - Australia
Last commentsmore »
- India: Government gives 50% subsidy on a poly house (675)
- "Horticulture in Iran can be an alternative to petroleum" (1)
- A flower shop dedicated to roses only (1)
- "Plum Power forever" (18)
- Terra Nova Nurseries introduces heat-loving heucherella variety (26)
- Milestones, lessons from California’s historic drought (25)
- Dutch grower supplies plants to world's biggest cruise ship (27)
- For sale: 10 brand new Cummins natural gas generators (16)
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Tasya Kravchenko, Florisol & Co:
Good hopes for Women's Day 2017Due to the strengthened and stabilized ruble, this year's Women's Day sales might be better than last year. "Of course, after the holiday we will have the exact numbers, but looking at the pre-orders that we already received in December and the current orders, I have good hopes that it will be a better year for us than last year", says Tasya Kravchenko of Florisol & Co, an Ecuadorian flower farm.
In less than a month, on March 8, International Women's Day will be celebrated. It is one of the most important days for flower growers exporting to Russia. "It is a very popular holiday and all men are used to giving flowers. This year, due to the stronger and stabilized ruble importers and people can spend a bit more and will hopefully do so"
Tasya Kravchenko at the Flowers Expo in Moscow, Russia.
Red roses are nr.1
According to Mrs. Kravchenko, for the flowers coming from Ecuador, the red roses and spray roses are always the winners, chrysanthemums are also doing well. As for the flowers from other countries – tulips are very popular as they represent the spring.
Even though the fact that the ruble strengthened, about 25 percent against the euro compared to last year, and stabilized over the last few months, the flower prices remain relatively low. "It is very difficult to push the prices back up again and especially back to the level they used to be, before the crisis. They are still about 39 percent lower than before the crisis", she says. Fortunately, towards Women's Day, the high demand results in higher prices. "They increase by about 25-30 percent."
Less and different flowers
The Russians are flower-minded people. "They buy flowers for different occasions, and as I am a Russian, I must say that some occasions, like weddings, birthdays, funerals, first day of school and of course Women's Day, are very important and cannot happen without the presence of flowers. However, during the crisis and still, we see that people keep buying flowers, but for example, instead of buying a large amount of stems they would buy less. Or instead of roses they would buy chrysanthemums, which are cheaper. Now, they are used to buying less or different flowers. They changed their preferences over the last years during the crisis, so I think it will take a while till the flower market will return to the 'old' situation where bouquets with big flowers are in high demand."
Florisol & Co
Florisol & Co was established in 1984 and started with one farm. Currently, the group consists of three farms in Ecuador, where they grow roses, gypsophila's, lilies, spray-roses, alstromelias and chrysanthemums on a total acreage of 32ha. The USA is their main export market, but they also export their flowers to Europe and Russia.
For more information:
Florisol & Co
Other news in this sector:
Leave a comment: (max. 500 characters)
- All comments which are not related to the article contents will be removed.
- All comments with non-related commercial content, will be removed.
- All comments with offensive language, will be removed.