Job offersmore »
- Growing Manager - Skye, Victoria
- Assistant Professor of Urban Horticultural Crops - United States (CA)
- Senior Inkoper - Maasdijk, Nederland
- Product Manager Biostimulants - Westmaas, the Netherlands
- Corporate Grower - Camarillo (CA), USA
- General Manager China - Kunming, China
- Buyer greenhouse crops - Almeria, Spain
- Trucking Fleet Manager - Azerbaijan
- Fresh Produce Traders Required for a Leading Dutch/UK Fresh Produce Business
- Key Accountmanager Horticulture Glass
Last commentsmore »
- India: Government gives 50% subsidy on a poly house (774)
- India: "High potential for orchid cultivation in Odisha" (2)
- US: Deadline is February 1st for AFE Scholarship applications (1)
- Video: the distribution center of the future (1)
- Hydroponically grown chrysanthemum show good results in summer (1)
- Will sea freight be an alternative to Latin American air freight? (3)
- "Horticulture in Iran can be an alternative to petroleum" (4)
- Development of the export oriented cut flower rose industry in Africa (7)
- Market reports: solid research or wild guesses? (2)
- NL: Vreugdenhil Young Plants launches new concept Pick & Joy (2)
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news has been published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Fluorescent vs. LED light for tree seedling cultivationProfessional cultivation of tree seedlings is typically done in controlled environments such as growth chambers and vertical farms. By growing the seedlings indoors, cultivators prevent animal predation, and are able to create ideal humidity and other conditions, fully control nutrition and thus run an efficient production.
Traditional lighting methods such as fluorescent or HPS are commonly used, however, the light that they produce contains unwanted wavelengths, is inadequate in promoting rapid and solid growth as well as limiting in terms of light quality controls. LED, as the latest lighting technology, comes with an array of light spectra, all designed to produce different results in plants. These results could be: creating elongated or compact stems, deep or short roots, early or delayed flowering response and many other effects, depending on what the grower needs.
A team of researchers from Greece examined the effects of continuous spectrum LEDs on tree seedling quality traits, as compared to fluorescent lights. Continuous (also known as wide or full) is the light spectrum that incorporates all colors and not only red and blue as it has become the standard in the LED lighting industry. A continuous light spectrum resembles sunlight more closely and feeds the plants with more information through the photons than the red-blue LED light combination does.
At first, the researchers analyzed morphological and physiological responses of Quercus ithaburensis var.macrolepis (Oak) during the seedling developmental stage which lasts 28 days. For a year after that further examination was conducted on several seedling quality traits. They found that LEDs outperform fluorescent in all categories. More specifically:
- Spectrum that is high in green and moderate in far red (Valoya’s AP67) triggers higher leaf formation, a positive seedling shoot development and higher root fibrosity
- Spectrum that is high in green and red (Valoya’s AP673L) also creates higher leaf formation, and additionally 4 times greater root dry weight
- Spectrum that is highest in blue and green and lowest in far-red (Valoya’s NS1), had the same effect on root dry weight as the previous one
- Spectrum that is highest in red and far red (G2) resulted in 20% greater root length than fluorescent
This study was conducted by Smirnakou S., Ouzounis T. and Radoglou KM and published on February 14th, 2017 in Frontiers in Plant Science. To see the full study, click here.
For more information:
Valoya Oy, Finland
Tel: +358 10 2350300
Publication date: 4/20/2017
Other news in this sector:
Leave a comment: (max. 500 characters)
- All comments which are not related to the article contents will be removed.
- All comments with non-related commercial content, will be removed.
- All comments with offensive language, will be removed.