Job offersmore »
- Nursery Systems Manager - Australia
- Assistant Professor of Landscape Architecture - Davis (CA), USA
- Technical Sales Representative Trainee - Ancaster, Ontario
- International Account Manager City Farming - Horticulture LED Solutions
- CEO for a leading Agri-Business working on an international basis
- Greenhouse Operations Lead - Alberta, Canada
- Commercial Head Grower - Newark, NJ (USA)
- IPM & Pollination Specialist (ornamentals) - Western Europe
- Regional Sales Manager - USA
- General Manager Operations - Australia
Last commentsmore »
- India: Government gives 50% subsidy on a poly house (675)
- "Horticulture in Iran can be an alternative to petroleum" (1)
- A flower shop dedicated to roses only (1)
- "Plum Power forever" (18)
- Terra Nova Nurseries introduces heat-loving heucherella variety (26)
- Milestones, lessons from Californiaís historic drought (25)
- Dutch grower supplies plants to world's biggest cruise ship (27)
- For sale: 10 brand new Cummins natural gas generators (16)
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Cultivation tips for peony growersThe peony is a sensitive plant. The plant will grow very fast after sprouting and therefore will not be very strong. The plant will abort its weakest flowers when the growth is very fast, but the weather is bleak. Especially during cold nights the frost will be blamed for this. Tough the lack of water will most likely be the main reason of the flower losses. A sudden period of warm weather during the stretching of the plant will increase the risk. Do not wait with watering until the soil is dry. Instead, try to create the most ideal circumstances for the plant as possible.
In the greenhouse or in the plastic tunnel watering peonies is very important for the best result. The plants grow very fast and because of that there is a big change that the plant growth is more important than the growth of flowers buds. Sufficient watering will delay the so-called moment of choice of the plant. The plants will not abort the flower buds anymore when they are large enough. Watering demands paying attention to the climate too. Avoid big changes in temperature and humidity. Open the windows before temperature in the greenhouse increases. Otherwise the plant could be damaged and there will likely be Botrytis. Growing too dry in order to prevent Botrytis causes dried up/aborted flower buds. Irrigation should be optimal for a better development of these flower buds. If not, one problem will be solved at the expense of another one.
The plant is not very resistant to climate changes because of its fast growth. Botrytis will most likely appear due to the damage caused by fast climate changes. Especially when peonies are not protected well enough during the growth, Botrytis and other dangers will cause large problems. Extra sprayings are most definitely needed during this critical period. Good and effective products which are mostly used are: Teldor, Kenbyo, Luna and Switch.
Do not spray for two days after night frost.
Flower bud Botrytis causes plants to fall over. It goes without saying that parcels which had plants that fell over, are most likely to have problems with this kind of Botrytis. The falling over of flower buds in peonies is an important disease. Even though Botrytis spreads fast during wet and warm weather, the largest problems develop during cold and wet weather, just before the blooming time starts. The flowers will not develop and will stay in a vulnerable stadium for too long. Diseases grow from the small leaves underneath the flower bud into the flower bud. They will fall over when it becomes warm and humid, before blooming.
A few extra sprayings before the blooming can be necessary. Especially Teldor, Kenbyo and Luna Sensation are mentioned as good and effective pest controllers. The best result will be obtained when the flower buds are wet with dew, because the pest controllers are easier to apply.
Read more in Green Works' Peony Care newsletter
Publication date: 4/20/2017
Other news in this sector:
Leave a comment: (max. 500 characters)
- All comments which are not related to the article contents will be removed.
- All comments with non-related commercial content, will be removed.
- All comments with offensive language, will be removed.