Job offersmore »
- Outside Technical Sales Position, Horticulture - Canada
- Area Manager Russia
- Machine Operator Buitendienst
- Grower (cucumbers) - Australia
- Business Development Manager - The Netherlands
- Greenhouse Construction Workers - U.S.
- (Senior) Werkvoorbereider/Engineer Kas Plus - Netherlands
- International Account Manager - Netherlands
- Business Advisor - China
- Account Manager for Technical Horticultural Greenhouse Products - Canada
Last commentsmore »
- India: Government gives 50% subsidy on a poly house (454)
- Veiling Rhein-Maas expands Premium Quality label to lilies (4)
- In 2016 we visited 26 trade shows and shot 5,054 pictures! (1)
- Kenyan rose production falls short of international demand (2)
- China gets slap on the wrist for illegal copying Dutch varieties (1)
- US: Growers respond to GM petunia news (1)
- Photoreport: Horticontact (1)
- US (FL): Bromeliad expert about hybridyzing bromeliads (1)
- India: "High potential for orchid cultivation in Odisha" (1)
- "Fight against thrips is not only won above ground" (1)
Top 5 - yesterday
- Brazil: Despite crisis, opportunities for growth
- How the bumblebee coincidentally saved the greenhouse industry
- US (CA): Monterey County helps former flower growers switch to marijuana
- NL: Cut flower prices under pressure by warm weather and French holiday
- Chrysanthemum blooming test of Royal van Zanten Colombia
Top 5 - last week
- Wabara expands into new markets with exclusive partnerships
- US (IL): Sunshine delphinium named in honor of John Simko
- Father and sons team harvests sunflowers for British Flowers Week
- Germany: VB Group builds 'Elite' greenhouse for Dümmen Orange
- Wildfire transitions to full hydroponic rose cultivation
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Cultivation tips for peony growersThe peony is a sensitive plant. The plant will grow very fast after sprouting and therefore will not be very strong. The plant will abort its weakest flowers when the growth is very fast, but the weather is bleak. Especially during cold nights the frost will be blamed for this. Tough the lack of water will most likely be the main reason of the flower losses. A sudden period of warm weather during the stretching of the plant will increase the risk. Do not wait with watering until the soil is dry. Instead, try to create the most ideal circumstances for the plant as possible.
In the greenhouse or in the plastic tunnel watering peonies is very important for the best result. The plants grow very fast and because of that there is a big change that the plant growth is more important than the growth of flowers buds. Sufficient watering will delay the so-called moment of choice of the plant. The plants will not abort the flower buds anymore when they are large enough. Watering demands paying attention to the climate too. Avoid big changes in temperature and humidity. Open the windows before temperature in the greenhouse increases. Otherwise the plant could be damaged and there will likely be Botrytis. Growing too dry in order to prevent Botrytis causes dried up/aborted flower buds. Irrigation should be optimal for a better development of these flower buds. If not, one problem will be solved at the expense of another one.
The plant is not very resistant to climate changes because of its fast growth. Botrytis will most likely appear due to the damage caused by fast climate changes. Especially when peonies are not protected well enough during the growth, Botrytis and other dangers will cause large problems. Extra sprayings are most definitely needed during this critical period. Good and effective products which are mostly used are: Teldor, Kenbyo, Luna and Switch.
Do not spray for two days after night frost.
Flower bud Botrytis causes plants to fall over. It goes without saying that parcels which had plants that fell over, are most likely to have problems with this kind of Botrytis. The falling over of flower buds in peonies is an important disease. Even though Botrytis spreads fast during wet and warm weather, the largest problems develop during cold and wet weather, just before the blooming time starts. The flowers will not develop and will stay in a vulnerable stadium for too long. Diseases grow from the small leaves underneath the flower bud into the flower bud. They will fall over when it becomes warm and humid, before blooming.
A few extra sprayings before the blooming can be necessary. Especially Teldor, Kenbyo and Luna Sensation are mentioned as good and effective pest controllers. The best result will be obtained when the flower buds are wet with dew, because the pest controllers are easier to apply.
Read more in Green Works' Peony Care newsletter
Publication date: 4/20/2017
Other news in this sector:
Leave a comment: (max. 500 characters)
- All comments which are not related to the article contents will be removed.
- All comments with non-related commercial content, will be removed.
- All comments with offensive language, will be removed.