- Account Manager
- Lead IoT Engineer - KAUST near Thuwal, Saudi Arabia
- Quality Assurance System Manager
- Junior Quality Control Technician
- Regional Sales Manager - Root, Switzerland
- Horticulture Specialist - Guelph (Ontario) Canada
- Technical Director - Brussels, Belgium
- Senior Maintenance Engineer - USA East coast greenhouse facility, location negotiable
- Greenhouse Assistant - Abbotsford (BC) Canada
- Technical Service Manager - remote, US based
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
- Innovative low oxygen box extends cut flower shelf life
- "We plan to leverage the breeding powerhouse, advanced technologies that Ball has invested in"
- Trial shows potential of single stem marigold cut flowers for vase, bouquet use
- “Father of the South American flower industry”
- Vaughan’s Horticulture announces the unexpected passing of beloved employee Matt Willoughby
Many invest in Reverse Osmosis and Ultra-Filtration
Kenya: Drought forces growers to save water
Jochum Genuit at the IFTEX 2017 in Nairobi, Kenya.
Kenyan growers had to deal with some very dry months this year and as a result, the availability of water became a problem for many growers. "After watering the plants, the water left was usually thrown away as it contains too many 'problems' like bacteria, viruses, nematodes and fungi. However, by using this water only once, fertilizers and other good components are unnecessarily being abandoned too", explains Genuit.
For over 40 years, Mienis Water has been creating membrane systems that can clean the water and treat it in such a way that they can remove the 'problems' out of the water while maintaining the good components.
What to do with it after drought
But what is the purpose of a RO or UF system when there is no drought anymore? "Improving the crop health and productivity", answers Genuit without any doubt. "Initially, this was the reason we created the first OR system over 45 years ago. At this time, surface water was not good enough anymore among Dutch growers. The salinity of the water was increasing and several elements were slowing down the growth of the crop. Only two water sources seem good enough to solve that problem; rainwater and Reverse Osmosis (RO) water. These water types are so clean that farmers could benefit from a better production and a higher quality."
Investment and payback period
Installing a membrane system is a big investment, but according to Genuit the payback period is relatively short. "Recently, we installed an RO system at a Kenyan flower grower who used to throw away 400 m3 of water. The owner calculated that the payback period would be around 8 months", says Genuit.
For more information
Email: Jochum@mienis-water.nl / firstname.lastname@example.org
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2021-01-21 Study on growth and inflorescence in orchids
- 2021-01-21 The possibilities of LED grow lights in lily cultivation
- 2021-01-20 "The coco-peat industry in India has a bright future"
- 2021-01-20 The making of Monarch
- 2021-01-19 "Installing light abatement wall systems can be especially challenging in poly greenhouses"
- 2021-01-15 New study on induced autopolyploidy
- 2021-01-15 "Here because of you"
- 2021-01-14 Gartenbau Paul Cox takes next step in pot handling with new conveyor belt installation
- 2021-01-13 Simple, but unique technique creates uniform light above plants
- 2021-01-06 AR glasses also work in a greenhouse without WiFi
- 2021-01-06 Curtis Mathes Grow Lights seeks DLC listing for its Harvester systems
- 2021-01-05 'IKEA package' from the Netherlands for drinking water scarcity in developing countries
- 2021-01-05 "World’s first deployment of self-driving greenhouse tow-tractors"
- 2020-12-24 Never too much or too little, that's what disinfecting water with UV is all about
- 2020-12-22 Light supplier and capital partner provide funding solutions for growers
- 2020-12-21 4G data monitors become mainstream in Chinese cold supply chain
- 2020-12-21 The practice of maintaining a water filter
- 2020-12-18 Argos smart scanning system for trolleys
- 2020-12-18 Powerful ultrasonic anti-virus method ready for use
- 2020-12-17 Germany: New transplanting power combo at Gartenbau Hörnes