- Senior Agronomist/Horticulturist and Agronomy/Horticulture Manager
- Growers & Assistant Growers
- Plant Biologist
- Ripening Officer Bananas / Exotics
- Grower and Nurser
- Farm Manager
- Floriculture Production Planning Manager
- Agricultural Mechanic / Crop Sprayer Operator
- Technical Services Manager
Top 5 -yesterday
- What to expect from Expo Flor Ecuador 2022?
- UK: Aldi now also provides wedding flowers
- US (UT): "One of the features we were most happy with in the greenhouse, is the roll form technology"
- Monitoring thrips with image technology unique, benificial insects soon to be counted digitally
- A collaboration between, Dogwood & Fir, David Austin Roses and Rosaprima
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
Bremkens Orchids blooms after internal changes
Christian Bremkens, co-owner of the company.
Bremkens Orchids is a real family company and Christian, Peter and their father Matthias Bremkens are managing the company that was founded by Christian's and Peter's grandfather in 1955. New varieties are being bred in their greenhouse in Geldern-Walbeck and propagated in the lab of Hark Orchideen, one of the largest phalaenopsis labs in the world. For many years, the marketing and sales of Bremkens Orchids varieties was done by Sion, until 1.5 years ago. After the split-up some changes were necessary. "We had to set up a sales team and work on our visibility and branding. It was quite a challenging task and still we are continuously looking for possible improvements", explains Bremkens.
At the same time, they decided to upgrade their greenhouses. A new sorting line enabled them to supply their growers with a tray with more uniform phalaenopsis young plants (click here to read more about this new sorting line at Bremkens) and a new cultivation system to increase the production volume. "When considering an increase in production volume, it is quite tempting to go for an expansion of greenhouse surface, but we did not. We decided to renovate our cultivation system so that we can grow 20 percent more plants on the same surface."
FloralDaily had the opportunity to take a peek in their greenhouse, where Christian Bremkens explained the process from transplanting to shipping out the young plants.
The tissue culture plants come from Hark Orchideen and are stored on trolleys.
Then, the cuttings are transplanted into a plug.
All cuttings are transplanted into a plug manually.
The cuttings are placed on a movable bench, that will transport them into the greenhouse where they can develop their roots.
The cuttings leave the transplanting area to the greenhouse.
The young plants in the greenhouse.
The young plant in a later stage, when they developed their roots.
When they are mature enough, the young plants are put on the new sorting line of Flier, where they are sorted in five different sizes. (Click here to read more about this new sorting line at Bremkens)
The young plants are ready to leave the greenhouse to growers all over the world.
The young plants leaving the greenhouse are transported in their own Bremkens Orchids trucks.
For more information
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-05-16 "No more moss in cutting production"
- 2022-04-07 "Despite the increased production costs, interested in new varieties high"
- 2022-03-17 How to prepare for Echinacea rooting?
- 2022-03-17 Propagation of outdoor plants in Uganda turns out to be a smart move
- 2022-03-15 "The construction of our new building is really progressing now"
- 2022-03-04 GardenChoice introduces product portfolio
- 2022-02-15 "Never ‘stop believin’ in the power of plants"
- 2021-09-17 A new flower is blooming!
- 2021-06-29 US (IA): "Testing the best in the Midwest"
- 2021-06-21 Plantpeddler looks back on the year while releasing 2022 catalog
- 2021-06-16 "Hoya is finding its place among the field of popular houseplants"
- 2021-03-24 "A benefit of Brexit for us is that customers are seeking out an established UK supply chain"
- 2021-03-05 Large investment brings one of Sweden's largest forest seedling suppliers to the next level
- 2021-01-26 The story of the Parlor Palm
- 2021-01-11 In vitro hardening of Dendrobium plantlets to enhance acclimatization
- 2021-01-07 Vitroplus produces record amount of ferns: 34 million
- 2021-01-06 'Proven Winners ColorChoice bare root roses, an on-time solution for greater demand'
- 2020-12-09 US: What's hot and happening in the market?
- 2020-12-04 Deep propagation trays added to AIRtray assortment
- 2020-12-01 Pleasant View Garden's introduces virtual market series