- UK Sales Manager - (South of the UK)
- Digital Advisor - Geeste, Germany
- Tax Specialist Hungary
- Head Grower - Providence (Rhode Island) USA
- Nursery Manager - Roydon (Essex) UK
- Labour Manager - Leamington (ON) Canada
- Head Grower/Director of Growing - Crawfordville (FL) USA
- Project Manager Assistant - USA
- Apple Quality Manager - Wolcott (NY) USA
- General Manager - Wolcott (NY) USA
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
"Nigel Judd, Thompson and Morgan: "High popularity Cosmos Cupcakes"
"People are looking for new annual lines"
Andrew Spencer of Thompson and Morgan next to the Cosmos Cupcakes at the Flower Trials in the Netherlands.
High popularity Cosmos Cupcakes
"The Cosmos Cupcakes is our biggest selling line in seeds," says Judd. According to him, the Cosmos Cupcakes is highly popular due to its petals. "There are no other plants with such an unique flower type; it is cup shaped and the outer petals are fused, forming a bowl. Some also have some extra petals in the center. This Cosmos variety is available in three different color blends, mixes of white, pink and some with a dark eye. The Cosmos Cupcakes was the Fleuroselect Novelty Award winner in 2014," he says.
Different markets different preferences
Even though the Cosmos Cupcakes are as popular in Europe as they are the United States, there are still clear differences in noticeable preferences. According to Judd, many countries in Europe like plants with soft colors and small flowers while bright colors and large flowers are more demanded in the US. "The Illumination Flame in the digitalis series for example is by far the most demanded color in the US. In Japan, the Laurentina and other compact varieties are popular," says Judd.
Thompson and Morgan
Thompson and Morgan breeds new plant varieties in the UK. "As we are part of a mail order company, we predominantly breed these varieties for the UK market. As a wholesale division, we can then take these varieties and sell them to other companies around the world, like seed packaging companies, brokers and growers. We also license some of our cutting raised products to companies who distribute them for us. The Buddleja 'Buzz, for example is bred by us and distributed by Proven Winners."
For more information
Thompson and Morgan
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2020-07-14 GIMA holds virtual AGM and elects Simon McArdle of Westland Horticulture as President
- 2020-07-13 Built on the curiosity to explore the possibilities of light
- 2020-07-13 BioTherm celebrates 40th anniversary
- 2020-07-13 Review of online member sessions in 4 minutes
- 2020-07-10 MOU signed by Haifa and AgrIOT
- 2020-07-10 Flier Systems joins forces with Ideaal
- 2020-07-10 François Mazellier appointed country head for SBM Life Science France
- 2020-07-10 CAN (ON): Royal Botanical Gardens CEO Mark Runciman to retire
- 2020-07-10 US (MI): Four Star Greenhouse denies allegations in recent lawsuit filed by H-2A migrant workers
- 2020-07-09 Henk Eleveld new manager production and quality at Oreon
- 2020-07-09 GE Current and Royal Brinkman enter exclusive partnership in the UK
- 2020-07-08 South American growers bounce back from pandemic woes
- 2020-07-07 Developing horticultural expertise worldwide
- 2020-07-07 Kenya: Guide to re-opening your office during COVID-19
- 2020-07-07 Introducing new HTA Board members
- 2020-07-07 Kevin Helash new CEO of Marrone Bio
- 2020-07-06 Germany: Gustav Zeitheim passes away
- 2020-07-06 "Everything which can be automated in water, is automated"
- 2020-07-03 SBM Life Science confirms acquisition of BHS's garden business
- 2020-07-03 $50 mln venture launched: 1868 Ventures