- Rose Grower
- Farm Manager Tomato Greenhouse Nursery, Tunisia
- General Manager - Farming / QLD, Australia
- Sales Manager
- Gartenbaumeister (Deutschland) - Niederrhein
- Group Chief Operating Officer
- Allround Medewerker Bedrijfsbureau - Est, Nederland
- General Manager Fresh Produce Manufacturing - Tasmania (Australia)
- Head Grower - Mason City (Iowa) USA
- Integrated Crop Management (ICM) Technician - Olds (Alberta) Canada
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
"Nigel Judd, Thompson and Morgan: "High popularity Cosmos Cupcakes"
"People are looking for new annual lines"
Andrew Spencer of Thompson and Morgan next to the Cosmos Cupcakes at the Flower Trials in the Netherlands.
High popularity Cosmos Cupcakes
"The Cosmos Cupcakes is our biggest selling line in seeds," says Judd. According to him, the Cosmos Cupcakes is highly popular due to its petals. "There are no other plants with such an unique flower type; it is cup shaped and the outer petals are fused, forming a bowl. Some also have some extra petals in the center. This Cosmos variety is available in three different color blends, mixes of white, pink and some with a dark eye. The Cosmos Cupcakes was the Fleuroselect Novelty Award winner in 2014," he says.
Different markets different preferences
Even though the Cosmos Cupcakes are as popular in Europe as they are the United States, there are still clear differences in noticeable preferences. According to Judd, many countries in Europe like plants with soft colors and small flowers while bright colors and large flowers are more demanded in the US. "The Illumination Flame in the digitalis series for example is by far the most demanded color in the US. In Japan, the Laurentina and other compact varieties are popular," says Judd.
Thompson and Morgan
Thompson and Morgan breeds new plant varieties in the UK. "As we are part of a mail order company, we predominantly breed these varieties for the UK market. As a wholesale division, we can then take these varieties and sell them to other companies around the world, like seed packaging companies, brokers and growers. We also license some of our cutting raised products to companies who distribute them for us. The Buddleja 'Buzz, for example is bred by us and distributed by Proven Winners."
For more information
Thompson and Morgan
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2019-10-18 Andermatt Biocontrol becomes majority shareholder in ABiTEP
- 2019-10-18 Joe Don Zetzsche to lead 2019-2020 PMA Board of Directors
- 2019-10-18 UK: Major expansion work at Bransford Webbs
- 2019-10-18 Ilona Smith starts working at ABZ Seeds
- 2019-10-18 Dümmen Orange signs technical service contract with NCKU Orchid Alliance
- 2019-10-17 Fransen Orchids joins with Thai breeder Suphachadiwong Orchids
- 2019-10-17 Greenlife Industry Australia presents overview of 100 day operations plan
- 2019-10-17 Roots and ClearVue to collaborate on greenhouse opportunities
- 2019-10-17 DSV announces plans for Panalpina headquarters and continued presence in Basel, as integration progresses
- 2019-10-16 Nine colleagues celebrating their anniversary put in the limelight with anniversary drink
- 2019-10-16 New Esperit head office opens its doors
- 2019-10-14 Thomas H. "Tom" DeHaven, Jr. of ForemostCo passes away
- 2019-10-14 "Achievable steps and a helping hand in environmental registration and certification"
- 2019-10-14 UK: Major fire at garden nursery near Dereham
- 2019-10-14 Greenyard Flowers UK acquired by Yellow Holdings
- 2019-10-11 Alice van Veen is new Flower Council of Holland board member
- 2019-10-11 Marco van 't Hart starts working at Luiten Greenhouses and Saarlucon
- 2019-10-11 Construction started at new HilverdaFlorist office
- 2019-10-10 Ruud Knorr leaves Dutch Flower Group
- 2019-10-10 US (HI): Ex-bookkeeper sentenced for stealing $1.3M from plant nursery