- Applicant management / board / horticulture / greenhouse grower
- Grower - Tasmania (berries) - Australia
- Managing Director Canada
- Category Manager - Sydney Markets, Australia
- Independent Sales & Business Development Representative, USA
- Experienced Tomato Grower, North America
- Breeder - Xiamen, China
- Senior Scientist, Plant Imaging - Brooklyn (NY) USA
- Scientist, Plant Substrates and Nutrition - Brooklyn (NY) USA
- Logistics Coordinator
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
- "World’s most sold machine to make spiral bouquets"
- Ecuador: Elite Farms acquires BellaRosa Group and Brown Breeding
- "Certified Plastic Free plug system sets new world standard"
- UK: Import of cut flowers from Kenya and Colombia up, Netherlands down
- 2021 Taiwan International Orchid Expo takes place virtually
"Nigel Judd, Thompson and Morgan: "High popularity Cosmos Cupcakes"
"People are looking for new annual lines"
Andrew Spencer of Thompson and Morgan next to the Cosmos Cupcakes at the Flower Trials in the Netherlands.
High popularity Cosmos Cupcakes
"The Cosmos Cupcakes is our biggest selling line in seeds," says Judd. According to him, the Cosmos Cupcakes is highly popular due to its petals. "There are no other plants with such an unique flower type; it is cup shaped and the outer petals are fused, forming a bowl. Some also have some extra petals in the center. This Cosmos variety is available in three different color blends, mixes of white, pink and some with a dark eye. The Cosmos Cupcakes was the Fleuroselect Novelty Award winner in 2014," he says.
Different markets different preferences
Even though the Cosmos Cupcakes are as popular in Europe as they are the United States, there are still clear differences in noticeable preferences. According to Judd, many countries in Europe like plants with soft colors and small flowers while bright colors and large flowers are more demanded in the US. "The Illumination Flame in the digitalis series for example is by far the most demanded color in the US. In Japan, the Laurentina and other compact varieties are popular," says Judd.
Thompson and Morgan
Thompson and Morgan breeds new plant varieties in the UK. "As we are part of a mail order company, we predominantly breed these varieties for the UK market. As a wholesale division, we can then take these varieties and sell them to other companies around the world, like seed packaging companies, brokers and growers. We also license some of our cutting raised products to companies who distribute them for us. The Buddleja 'Buzz, for example is bred by us and distributed by Proven Winners."
For more information
Thompson and Morgan
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2021-04-15 UK: Provender Nurseries purchases new electric buggies to deal with extra order volume
- 2021-04-15 FloraLife aims for carbon neutral storage and transport
- 2021-04-15 China: Busy start to Hortiflorexpo IPM Shanghai
- 2021-04-15 River Flowers obtains Global G.A.P. and GRASP
- 2021-04-15 Ridder welcomes new member to its sales team
- 2021-04-14 CAN: Farm family looking to expand flower business
- 2021-04-14 Pleasant View Gardens expands team with retail account manager
- 2021-04-13 Target, Instacart and Amazon rank high for online shopping
- 2021-04-13 Optimizing insights in business activities with new software ABS
- 2021-04-13 IPL Summerflowers and Seeds BV will represent Odie Farms in Africa
- 2021-04-13 Dilution Solutions welcomes new technical sales representative
- 2021-04-13 Products from B+H Solutions new to the Hortus product range
- 2021-04-12 Reginald Deroose takes a step back, Maurice van Winden a step forward
- 2021-04-09 Ethiopian Airlines marks 75th anniversary
- 2021-04-09 Tech company accepted into Canada’s tech network’s Soft Landing
- 2021-04-09 NL: Logico in the spotlight at OZ Planten
- 2021-04-09 "Australia's largest floral wholesaler Lynch Group buds on the ASX"
- 2021-04-09 "Veiling Rhein-Maas delivers top performance in 2020"
- 2021-04-09 Sweden: Snowmobile plants - delivering forest plants carefully
- 2021-04-08 All questions answered on the most important Global G.A.P. topics