- Assistant Cultivation Manager - Capitol Heights (MD) USA
- Greenhouse Investment Analyst - Portland (OR) USA
- Market Manager - Horticulture, USA
- Procurement and Marketing Manager - Kenya
- Head Grower - Bahrain
- Quality Assurance Manager - (Victoria, NSW or Tasmania) Australia
- (Assistant) Manager
- Senior Commodities Trader | Pulses | Ukraine
- Manager Production Seedlings - Hendrik-Ido-Ambacht
- UK Sales Manager - (South of the UK)
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
"Nigel Judd, Thompson and Morgan: "High popularity Cosmos Cupcakes"
"People are looking for new annual lines"
Andrew Spencer of Thompson and Morgan next to the Cosmos Cupcakes at the Flower Trials in the Netherlands.
High popularity Cosmos Cupcakes
"The Cosmos Cupcakes is our biggest selling line in seeds," says Judd. According to him, the Cosmos Cupcakes is highly popular due to its petals. "There are no other plants with such an unique flower type; it is cup shaped and the outer petals are fused, forming a bowl. Some also have some extra petals in the center. This Cosmos variety is available in three different color blends, mixes of white, pink and some with a dark eye. The Cosmos Cupcakes was the Fleuroselect Novelty Award winner in 2014," he says.
Different markets different preferences
Even though the Cosmos Cupcakes are as popular in Europe as they are the United States, there are still clear differences in noticeable preferences. According to Judd, many countries in Europe like plants with soft colors and small flowers while bright colors and large flowers are more demanded in the US. "The Illumination Flame in the digitalis series for example is by far the most demanded color in the US. In Japan, the Laurentina and other compact varieties are popular," says Judd.
Thompson and Morgan
Thompson and Morgan breeds new plant varieties in the UK. "As we are part of a mail order company, we predominantly breed these varieties for the UK market. As a wholesale division, we can then take these varieties and sell them to other companies around the world, like seed packaging companies, brokers and growers. We also license some of our cutting raised products to companies who distribute them for us. The Buddleja 'Buzz, for example is bred by us and distributed by Proven Winners."
For more information
Thompson and Morgan
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2020-07-24 "Well-founded, independent selecting in horticultural lighting market increasingly difficult"
- 2020-07-24 FloralDaily Holiday!
- 2020-07-24 Walter Bruins Slot new COO at Bom Group
- 2020-07-24 Dümmen Orange and Yellowstone Forever kick off new petunia branding
- 2020-07-24 "Milestone Fresh wants a sustainable future with share in bamboo nursery in Guatemala
- 2020-07-24 Expoflores has launched its new official video
- 2020-07-24 Death of Art van Duijn - Co-founder of Dutch Flower Group
- 2020-07-23 A Horti-baby is born!
- 2020-07-23 IPP looks east with expansion into Poland
- 2020-07-23 Greenlife Industry Australia directors share news of the passing of these industry icons
- 2020-07-23 Five years of Ridder screens
- 2020-07-23 Thijs van de Westelaken becomes co-director and shareholder of Globe Plant
- 2020-07-22 "Trade should commit to environmental certification"
- 2020-07-21 Leadership changes at SePRO Corporation
- 2020-07-21 From ornamentals to hemp: the story of AgTech Scientific
- 2020-07-21 UK: Outbreak of Covid-19 at flower distributor
- 2020-07-21 Pennsylvania Horticultural Society fills senior leadership positions
- 2020-07-20 New Heuchera Frilly set for 2021
- 2020-07-17 UK: Eden Project facing major restructure
- 2020-07-16 In memoriam Harry Kloppenburg