- Plant Production Operator
- Plant Manager
- Lighting Applications Specialist - Beamsville (Ontario) Canada
- (Senior) Sourcing Manager Soft Fruit
- IPM Manager - Morehead (KY) USA
- Labor Manager - Morehead (KY) USA
- Human Resources Manager - Morehead (KY) USA
- Assistant Grower - Morehead (KY) USA
- Head Grower - Morehead (KY) USA
- General Manager - Morehead (KY) USA
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
"Nigel Judd, Thompson and Morgan: "High popularity Cosmos Cupcakes"
"People are looking for new annual lines"
Andrew Spencer of Thompson and Morgan next to the Cosmos Cupcakes at the Flower Trials in the Netherlands.
High popularity Cosmos Cupcakes
"The Cosmos Cupcakes is our biggest selling line in seeds," says Judd. According to him, the Cosmos Cupcakes is highly popular due to its petals. "There are no other plants with such an unique flower type; it is cup shaped and the outer petals are fused, forming a bowl. Some also have some extra petals in the center. This Cosmos variety is available in three different color blends, mixes of white, pink and some with a dark eye. The Cosmos Cupcakes was the Fleuroselect Novelty Award winner in 2014," he says.
Different markets different preferences
Even though the Cosmos Cupcakes are as popular in Europe as they are the United States, there are still clear differences in noticeable preferences. According to Judd, many countries in Europe like plants with soft colors and small flowers while bright colors and large flowers are more demanded in the US. "The Illumination Flame in the digitalis series for example is by far the most demanded color in the US. In Japan, the Laurentina and other compact varieties are popular," says Judd.
Thompson and Morgan
Thompson and Morgan breeds new plant varieties in the UK. "As we are part of a mail order company, we predominantly breed these varieties for the UK market. As a wholesale division, we can then take these varieties and sell them to other companies around the world, like seed packaging companies, brokers and growers. We also license some of our cutting raised products to companies who distribute them for us. The Buddleja 'Buzz, for example is bred by us and distributed by Proven Winners."
For more information
Thompson and Morgan
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2019-04-25 Panalpina expands network in Colombia and Ecuador
- 2019-04-24 "Top shareholder won't back Bayer management in AGM vote"
- 2019-04-24 "In the Swiss horticulture sector, out of sight is out of mind."
- 2019-04-24 Vestaron hires Field Development Biologist
- 2019-04-24 "Flood season has returned, but you can help protect your business with the proper insurance"
- 2019-04-23 John van der Maden new Team Manager Import at Veiling Rhein-Maas
- 2019-04-19 Codema appoints a new European sales operations manager
- 2019-04-19 Happy Easter!
- 2019-04-19 Students to prosper from the sales of Begonia ‘Sweet Spice Bounty’
- 2019-04-18 Lidl trials its first shop to have an urban garden
- 2019-04-18 AgSafe bullying and harassment video helps address serious workplace safety issue
- 2019-04-17 Marrone Bio Innovations announces distribution partnership in Western Canada
- 2019-04-17 OptiFreeze introduces board of directors
- 2019-04-17 UK: Perennial team grows to support 180th anniversary goal
- 2019-04-17 Inside Dillewijn Zwapak’s new sustainable head office
- 2019-04-16 Canada: Government awards $1.9M in financial assistance to Lambert Peat Moss
- 2019-04-12 Netherlands: New building Klasmann-Deilmann in Schiedam
- 2019-04-11 US: $600,000 in research, scholarships and internships
- 2019-04-11 Quick Plug North America announces new Managing Director
- 2019-04-11 US (NY): Raymond Fox ’47, emeritus professor of floriculture, dies at 96