A supercell thunderstorm destroyed at least 100 hectares of greenhouses in the province of North Brabant in the South of Holland last night. The total damage is estimated to be millions of euro's. "Most of the companies are forced to stop their crop", said bell pepper grower Wim van den Boomen.
Hail as big as baseballs crashed onto homes, cars, fruit trees and greenhouses last night. Not only bell pepper grower Wim van den Boomen's greenhouse was destroyed, also many other ones in the area. "Many growers have severe damage, at most of the companies the crop will be taken out."
Amongst the stricken companies are Greenco, known for the Tommies brand of snacking tomatoes, and Pieter van Gog's cucumbers and strawberry greenhouse operations. Local newspapers informed that 20 of his 28 hectare greenhouse is heavily damaged. "Totally destroyed. Everything is broken."
Earlier on Thursday, heavy rainfall caused severe damage at this greenhouse in Holand; a total of six trellis could not carry the heavy weight of the huge amount of rain that came down in a very short time. Pictures : Kasreparatie.nl
Pictures : Kasreparatie.nl
Earlier this week, other Belgian and Dutch growers were struck by heavy rainfall too; Parking lots flooded and greenhouses were damaged. Hopefully this has been one of the last storms of the season for them...
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-03-20 Rebranded Stolze Mexico expands into North American market as GROWA
- 2023-03-17 Bredefleur Moerkapelle takes over neighbour's greenhouse and expands to 13.5 hectares
- 2023-03-17 AFE introduces their new Friends of Floral Program
- 2023-03-16 Solar panels make up for 50% of the annual energy consumption at DREA
- 2023-03-16 Managing assortment on Floriday improved with supply selections
- 2023-03-16 NL: Stolk G4M Plants introduces Spathiphyllum Jet Diamond
- 2023-03-16 Dutch companies merge
- 2023-03-16 Ian Rasmussen appointed as CEO of Royal Dutch Paardekooper Group
- 2023-03-16 Ugo Conforti appointed as President of Flora Toscana
- 2023-03-16 Floward raises USD156 million
- 2023-03-15 NL: Minister of Agriculture visits Dutch breeder
- 2023-03-15 Dutch nurseries expand partnership
- 2023-03-14 NL: Violets make way for greenhouse allotments
- 2023-03-14 BASF Venture Capital GmbH invests in WayBeyond
- 2023-03-14 Tristram Plants raises over £5000 for Ukraine appeal
- 2023-03-13 BioSafe Systems celebrates 25th anniversary
- 2023-03-13 Voshol joins GreenV group to serve consolidating market
- 2023-03-10 US (FL): Royal Van Zanten showcases award winners at WFFSA, Miami
- 2023-03-10 Roobos becomes part of Floral Trade Group
- 2023-03-09 5 years of World Horti Center