- Applicant management / board / horticulture / greenhouse grower
- Grower - Tasmania (berries) - Australia
- Managing Director Canada
- Category Manager - Sydney Markets, Australia
- Independent Sales & Business Development Representative, USA
- Experienced Tomato Grower, North America
- Breeder - Xiamen, China
- Senior Scientist, Plant Imaging - Brooklyn (NY) USA
- Scientist, Plant Substrates and Nutrition - Brooklyn (NY) USA
- Logistics Coordinator
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
- "World’s most sold machine to make spiral bouquets"
- "Certified Plastic Free plug system sets new world standard"
- UK: Import of cut flowers from Kenya and Colombia up, Netherlands down
- 2021 Taiwan International Orchid Expo takes place virtually
- "Kenya's first floating solar project installed at Rift Valley Roses"
One of the four houses finished:
US (MI): Walters Gardens upgrades acclimation range
The greenhouse under construction
In this 15,000 sq. ft. range and the future ranges, they will start their young plants. "We call it the Acclimation (AC) Range because this is where we will send our liners of freshly stuck plants either from tissue culture, unrooted cuttings, or seed to acclimate to the environments (also known as weening)", says Walters.
The greenhouse under construction
"It is a significant investment that enables us to keep providing our customers the quality liner material that they demand," adds Troy Shumaker, COO at this perennial liner producing company.
Some key features about this new range:
The range is a DeCloet Greenhouse Structures equipped with Damatex control systems and a Dramm cooling misting system. The structures are 19 feet tall, which makes it the tallest range they have. "It is about 5 ft taller than we have ever gone before and it is more in line with the industry standards", says Walters.
And there is more. For the roofs, they have opted for diffused glass. "It was the most expensive option, but it also gave the most benefits. Better and more even light coverage for our plant, longer lasting material; approximately 30 years", says Walters. On their watering booms, they have the option of a fine mist for nozzles that can be adjusted. The misting system in the ceiling is for cooling the air temperature and adjusting the humidity, and the heated floors are a feature that they felt was a key missing piece to the growing process in some of their older houses.
Below a video of the new acclimation greenhouse at Walters Gardens.
And not only the propagation facilities has been and is being updated, the shipping space is too. "This was actually the first phase and this is the second phase of our three-phased project that is spanning a period of three years." On January 4th the phase was completed and now consists of 2 DeCloet Greenhouse Structures totaling 8,064 sqft. These structures are now being utilized for shipping space. "This provides us with a controlled environment in which we are able to efficiently assemble and hold customers’ orders while maintaining high quality plant material prior to shipping," says Shumaker.
The new shipping space.
The next three houses
The next step is completing the third phase, adding 3 more DeCloet Greenhouse Structures totaling 45,360 sqft. "These new structures will have heated floors, diffused glass roof with an anti-reflective coating, boom watering, a low pressure misting system to create evaporative cooling and either HPS or LED lighting." This phase will complete the replacement of their existing outdated propagation facilities."
For more information
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2021-04-16 "Result of this collaboration is optimal sanitation and propagating material"
- 2021-04-16 Dümmen Orange entrusts L&M Group sale of end products roses and gerberas
- 2021-04-16 "Without shading agents, it is simply impossible to grow plants in South Africa"
- 2021-04-16 ScottsMiracle-Gro hires Jim Esquea as Vice President of Public Affairs
- 2021-04-16 NL: "Revenue remained stable at 288 million"
- 2021-04-15 UK: Provender Nurseries purchases new electric buggies to deal with extra order volume
- 2021-04-15 FloraLife aims for carbon neutral storage and transport
- 2021-04-15 China: Busy start to Hortiflorexpo IPM Shanghai
- 2021-04-15 River Flowers obtains Global G.A.P. and GRASP
- 2021-04-15 Ridder welcomes new member to its sales team
- 2021-04-14 CAN: Farm family looking to expand flower business
- 2021-04-14 Pleasant View Gardens expands team with retail account manager
- 2021-04-13 Target, Instacart and Amazon rank high for online shopping
- 2021-04-13 Optimizing insights in business activities with new software ABS
- 2021-04-13 IPL Summerflowers and Seeds BV will represent Odie Farms in Africa
- 2021-04-13 Dilution Solutions welcomes new technical sales representative
- 2021-04-13 Products from B+H Solutions new to the Hortus product range
- 2021-04-12 Reginald Deroose takes a step back, Maurice van Winden a step forward
- 2021-04-09 Ethiopian Airlines marks 75th anniversary
- 2021-04-09 Tech company accepted into Canada’s tech network’s Soft Landing