- Production Manager
- Assistant Professor - Controlled Environments Entomologist
- Technical Development Specialist | Horticulture | France
- Director of Business Development | Middle East | Agtech
- Farm/Production Manager; Berlin (m/w/d)
- Trader Asian Market
- Avocado Growing Manager - Kenya
- Sales Manager for Nordic countries (H/F)
- Senior Breeder
- Operations Manager - Kenya
Top 5 -yesterday
- "It's a niche product that we created ourselves”
- McHutchison and Vaughan’s Horticulture hire national sales manager, and promote three regional sales managers
- UFG's 'Last auction in the large gallery event'
- J. Berry Nursery relaxes Hollywood Hibiscus branded container requirements
- Michiel van Ginkel new CEO Royal Hilverda Group
Top 5 -last week
- HilverdaFlorist delegation visits KF Bioplants in India
- Proven Winners hosts creators roundtable event for plant influencers
- HortEx Vietnam, a gateway to the Vietnamese market
- "Botrytis is thriving in these weather conditions, so being as strict as possible is required"
- Suntory's "Le Tour de Cuttings"
Top 5 -last month
"Nigel Judd, Thompson and Morgan: "High popularity Cosmos Cupcakes"
"People are looking for new annual lines"
Andrew Spencer of Thompson and Morgan next to the Cosmos Cupcakes at the Flower Trials in the Netherlands.
High popularity Cosmos Cupcakes
"The Cosmos Cupcakes is our biggest selling line in seeds," says Judd. According to him, the Cosmos Cupcakes is highly popular due to its petals. "There are no other plants with such an unique flower type; it is cup shaped and the outer petals are fused, forming a bowl. Some also have some extra petals in the center. This Cosmos variety is available in three different color blends, mixes of white, pink and some with a dark eye. The Cosmos Cupcakes was the Fleuroselect Novelty Award winner in 2014," he says.
Different markets different preferences
Even though the Cosmos Cupcakes are as popular in Europe as they are the United States, there are still clear differences in noticeable preferences. According to Judd, many countries in Europe like plants with soft colors and small flowers while bright colors and large flowers are more demanded in the US. "The Illumination Flame in the digitalis series for example is by far the most demanded color in the US. In Japan, the Laurentina and other compact varieties are popular," says Judd.
Thompson and Morgan
Thompson and Morgan breeds new plant varieties in the UK. "As we are part of a mail order company, we predominantly breed these varieties for the UK market. As a wholesale division, we can then take these varieties and sell them to other companies around the world, like seed packaging companies, brokers and growers. We also license some of our cutting raised products to companies who distribute them for us. The Buddleja 'Buzz, for example is bred by us and distributed by Proven Winners."
For more information
Thompson and Morgan
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-12-01 Anthura Bologna: "irresistible"
- 2022-12-01 UbiQD launches two new greenhouse film products
- 2022-12-01 Millcreek Gardens introduces new account manager & office sales supervisor
- 2022-12-01 Podcast: Flower farming on Hawaii’s Big Island with Christian Ingalls of Daisy Dukes Flower Farm
- 2022-12-01 NL: AltaNova takes over Nertera cultivation from Kooij Nertera Natural
- 2022-12-01 This Chicago couple turns vacant lots into flower farms, with help of local youth
- 2022-12-01 New: Santini 'Jinda Red'
- 2022-12-01 "A Lowpad in the workplace will help us take our operations to the next level"
- 2022-11-30 UK: New Leaf Plants teams up with Joy of Plants
- 2022-11-30 McHutchison and Vaughan’s Horticulture hire national sales manager, and promote three regional sales managers
- 2022-11-30 Hoffman Nursery gives update on growing stock
- 2022-11-30 Centre for high-tech protected cropping systems launched to climate-proof crop production
- 2022-11-30 Michiel van Ginkel new CEO Royal Hilverda Group
- 2022-11-29 Dutch exporter Montfleury celebrates 20 years
- 2022-11-29 2022 Poinsettia trial results Millstadt Young Plants and N.G. Heimos Greenhouses
- 2022-11-29 NL: Pieterpikzonen takes over Wing Seed BV
- 2022-11-29 Delphy Japan opens new office
- 2022-11-29 NL: Rebuilding of Takii’s new production- and breeding location in Zeeland started
- 2022-11-29 "It's good to be here for a longer period"
- 2022-11-29 NPI brings water, whenever and wherever it is needed!