- Teeltspecialisten Engeland
- Commercial Support Coordinator (32-40 hours)
- Sr Construction Project Manager
- China country manager
- Commercial Key Account Manager
- Agriculture Sales engineer France & European zone
- Cultivation specialist / Growers for Amerika
- Tissue Culture Lab / Operations Manager
- Area Manager South Germany
- Senior Buyer | Fresh Produce | Ireland
Top 5 -yesterday
- Acrotelm and wood fiber as alternative to peat
- Syngenta Flowers announces collaboration with Polish begonia breeder
- "Dollar exchange rate means double export volumes to North America, but not all that glitters is gold"
- "The situation in Europe has changed, but in Africa it didn't"
- China: "Our Tillandsia as 'table flower' brightened up the venue"
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
European technology, knowledge helps Northend Gardens thrive
Family Oorsprong. (From Left) Carrie. Ted, Austin, and Jon Oorsprong.
Northend Gardens is the only weekly flowering year-round medinilla grower in North America. In order to realize a year-round production, modern techniques are required. Interestingly, most of their techniques come from European companies. For example, their shading system, which is very important when having a year-round production, comes from the Swedish company Ludvig Svennson. "We are working closely with the Swedish shading company Ludvig Svennson to optimize our shading system. They advise us how and which shading materials to use and afterwards we order the products at the Canadian Company called VRE Systems who imports and installs them in our greenhouse," says Ted. Also their automatic transportation system comes from Europe. "Recently, we bought a used transportation system from the Dutch business Debets Schalke. This transportation system was once used in a greenhouse in De Lier, the Netherlands. This company went bankrupt, so we purchased their transport system. Last year, Debets Schalke shipped the transportation system to Canada where we installed it ourselves in September of this year. With this installation, our farm went from 50% rolling table installation to 100%," says Ted .
A photo from the installation of the rolling table system which is an integral part in medinilla production.
Besides the techniques, also the knowledge comes from Europe and from the Netherlands in particular. Regarding the shading system, they communicate on a weekly basis with the Dutch advisers of Kwekerij Atlantis. "Once or twice a year they will visit us. However, we also go to the Netherlands to visit growers and to learn more about their greenhouses and the techniques they use," says Ted. Regarding the cultivation of the medinilla crops, they have close contacts with a Dutch medinilla grower Kwekerij Atlantis. "Atlantis' Rob Scheffers supported us with the startup of our medinilla production in 2012, and still, he is putting a lot of effort into helping us to grow a high quality crop," says Ted. Also regarding introducing and trialing new varieties, Ted has close contacts with a Dutch breeder and grower. "Last year we started up a partnership with Corn Bak, a Dutch bromelia grower and breeder of medinillas. We started trailing new varieties of their medinillas. So, in the next year or two, we hope to come up with three or four new colours."
Currently, around 50% of their 2 ha sized greenhouse is used for their medinilla production and 50% for spring bedding plants and hanging basket plants. Two medinilla varieties are being produced, namely Medinilla Dolce Vita and Medinilla Magnifica. In the future, they are planning to expand their medinilla assortment with the help of Atlantis and Corn Bak.
For more information
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-09-12 Marjoland Experience: "Connect with the customer, now more than ever"
- 2022-08-24 "The end product must be perfect and cultivation should remain profitable"
- 2022-08-12 US (OH): Red Twig farm focuses on quality vs. quantity
- 2022-08-11 “European market hungry for newer waxflower varieties”
- 2022-08-10 Lüers GmbH & Co.KG open house in full swing
- 2022-07-21 "Godlen Pond: Innovative packaging can lead to better floral branding"
- 2022-07-19 Guntur farmer uses drones to boost his Floriculture yield
- 2022-07-19 Tribute to Santosh Mhaske, Pune's top floral designer
- 2022-07-08 Grant Kees to join BioSafe horti division in Alabama and Florida
- 2022-06-29 Teen farmer selected as USDA greenhouse grant winner
- 2022-06-24 US: "Demand in 2022 has been more regional, more weather dependent than in 2020 and 2021"
- 2022-06-23 Local experts on the art of flower farming
- 2022-06-21 Group of managers participating in Mastercourse in the Netherlands
- 2022-06-16 Henda Flowers starts construction of new greenhouse
- 2022-06-08 New businesses promote arts, crafts, photography, and flowers
- 2022-06-07 Kenya celebrates its flower growing industry at IFTEX
- 2022-06-02 This man covered his 3-storey house In Uttar Pradesh with 10,000 plants
- 2022-06-01 Cebu farm showcases collection of rare flowering plants and ornamentals
- 2022-05-31 Hong Kong: Edible flowers sold for 50% less than imported ones
- 2022-05-26 Mariusz has a good fit with employer Blueberries Grathem