- Head Grower Strawberries, Australia
- Growing Manager for Hydroponic strawberry producer
- Regional Sales Manager Fresh Produce
- Head Grower Strawberries, Norway
- Export Trade Manager
- Business Developer - Northern Europe
- Orchard Sector Manager
- International Citrus Account Manager
- Business Developer Water Storage - International technical horticulture
UK: Walberton Nursery to introduce new begonia varieties
One of their new begonia varieties.
"You never know when you introduce a new plant to the market if it will have the success it deserves. For us, it is the first time we have introduced begonias to the market, which makes it even more exciting," says Wainwright. However, from experience they know that British consumers are eager to try out new varieties. "Over the years we have bred many other plants at Walberton Nursery, and we always see a high demand for new and interesting plants." According to him, this also seems to apply to introducing new begonia varieties, "when showing these new begonias to our buyers, they were very enthusiastic," says Wainwright.
New begonia range
The new patio begonia range was trialed and propagated by Walberton Nursery having been bred in Denmark. "Over the last year, we have trialed a wide range of new begonias. In September, we took cuttings from five selected varieties with the best range of colors and leaf shapes," says Wainwright. “We have named them after the great Impressionist painters, including Monet and Van Gogh to reflect their bright colors.” The first finished plants will be available from early summer 2016. "In the meantime, we will continue trialing and hopefully more new varieties will follow soon," he says.
Walberton Nursery was established in 1973 in West Sussex, the UK. They started with growing tomatoes and some conifers. Currently, they are completely focused on the ornamentals and mainly on hardy plants. "Our product range includes shrubs such as camellias, herbaceous perennials and patio plants," says Wainwright. The plants are sold through The Farplants Group of which they have been a member from the very start. Together with the other group members, Walberton Nursery supplies Garden Centres in the United Kingdom. "Each of the nurseries grow their own specialties within a small area of West Sussex to provide Farplants with an unbeatable range of garden plants," says Wainwright.
For more information
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-09-28 Kenya: "It is not only more sustainable, the quality of our roses will improve too"
- 2023-09-28 Dream Farms takes home 12 awards during SAF's Outstanding Varieties Competition
- 2023-09-28 US (NC): Blazing Star Flowers receives grant for multi-use canopy structure
- 2023-09-27 What makes a rose fragrant: a peek into Parfum Flower's farm
- 2023-09-27 UK: Delivering flowers in Southborough
- 2023-09-26 US: Colorado’s largest flower producer to hit market for almost $10M
- 2023-09-26 "Cymbidium is a mysterious, raw diamond"
- 2023-09-22 US (CA): Eufloria Flowers in Nipomo showcase their efforts of sustainably grown rose
- 2023-09-21 US (MD): “There has to be a shift in understanding of what grows where and when here in the U.S.”
- 2023-09-20 NL: Ever wanted to experience an exclusive Decorum Plants & Flowers nursery tour?
- 2023-09-20 “90% of everything gets started under the grow lights and inside"
- 2023-09-20 Bulgaria: “Inflation isn’t withholding us from investing in technology”
- 2023-09-19 The Elite Group flourishes with multiple awards at floral shows
- 2023-09-18 Magical ASML and horticulture
- 2023-09-18 A peek inside the largest rose nursery in the Netherlands
- 2023-09-15 Floral Chain takes home 7 ribbons from SAF's Outstanding Varieties Competition
- 2023-09-15 Denmark: Phalaenopsis market enters a new era
- 2023-09-14 US (AZ): Phoenix plant nursery shows how to firescape home
- 2023-09-13 NL: Orchid grower switches to water-cooled LEDs
- 2023-09-12 US: Memorial tribute established in memory of Andy Mast