- Customer Support Executive
- Sales Representative Substrates Peru
- Head Grower – High Technology Organic Greenhouse
- Import and Export Sales Manager
- Sales Manager - US
- Account Manager - Canada
- Key Account Manager (f/m/d) - Full-time
- Vice President of Growing Operations
- Account Manager - United States
- Procurement Manager Blueberries
"Gaza flowers barred from export to Europe"
Since Dutch funding for the Gaza farmers was stopped three years ago, farming spaces shrank in size, ultimately affecting the amount of flowers produced throughout the year. Farmers now plant only 15 dunams (15.000 m2) of flowers, after planting nearly 150 (15.000 m2) dunams previously, according to Palestinian media agency Al Ray.
50-year-old Gaza farmer, Ibrahim Siyam, was cultivating more than 13 (13.000 m2) dunams, but the area was gradually reduced to 9 (9.000 m2) dunams. He says this is a result of the Israeli blockade on the region.
Siyam explained that most farmers refrained from farming flowers due to the high cost and low benefits, as they cannot export their products.
The Gaza Strip exported about 50 million flowers, annually, to Europe until 2004. But, farmers in 2012 were able to export no more than five million flowers. According to www.imemc.org, this is because of the repeated Israeli closures and constraints at borders crossings.
Source: International Middle East Media Center
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-12-06 UK: ePhyto trial announced by Defra for Dutch plant & plant products imports
- 2023-12-06 Malawi sends agricultural workers to Israel
- 2023-12-06 Dutch growers debate housing labor migrants
- 2023-12-04 USDA to conduct commercial floriculture survey
- 2023-12-01 Germany: "Cyclamen are popular, particularly as outdoor plants"
- 2023-12-01 Cut flower industry in Turkey starts Christmas exports to Europe
- 2023-12-01 Florists and auctions experienced increased activity in Turkey due to Teacher’s Day
- 2023-11-30 UK: HTA advocates for UK Environmental Horticulture at ‘Plants in Parliament’ event
- 2023-11-30 Deposit increase on Fc519 flower box from mid-January 2024
- 2023-11-30 Challenges and opportunities in the floriculture industry in Africa: knowledge and future research prospects
- 2023-11-30 Turkey: Christmas flower exports started to Europe worth $20 mln
- 2023-11-29 UK: ‘Strong food theme’ reflected in GCA BoT figures for October
- 2023-11-29 India: ‘Floriculture can uplift economy of villagers in Khonoma'
- 2023-11-29 Turkey: Christmas flower exports started to Europe worth $20 mln
- 2023-11-28 The cost of the global ornamental plant trade
- 2023-11-27 Minimum wage hike is quite challenging for UK agri sector