- Growing Manager for Hydroponic strawberry producer
- Regional Sales Manager Fresh Produce
- Head Grower Strawberries, Norway
- Export Trade Manager
- Business Developer - Northern Europe
- Orchard Sector Manager
- International Citrus Account Manager
- Business Developer Water Storage - International technical horticulture
- Export Manager
Dümmen Orange starts LED project
Lighting red cultivars
The installation of the LEDs is the first visible step in the red Avalanche+ project. The primary focus in this breeding program is on the search for a new, special red rose. The first commercial cultivars are expected to appear on the market in 2017/2018.
The first cultivar in this program is currently being lit with a hybrid lighting installation, along with other varieties. “Red cultivars benefit from a high light level. The additional lighting that Philips LED lamps bring to our breeding site enables us to achieve the same light level as the most modern rose businesses,” says Dennis van Dijk, Rose Product Manager at Dümmen Orange.
Certainty for sector
The rose is an important crop for ornamental plant cultivation in the Netherlands. The partnership between the two companies is an excellent step towards giving rose cultivation a new boost. “For us it’s really useful to be working with an international breeder. For instance we can test the effect of technological developments on several crops and varieties. We mainly consider the increase in quality and yield to be important,” says Udo van Slooten, Managing Director Philips Horticulture LED Solutions. Dümmen Orange values cultivation-related progress for both high-tech rose businesses in Europe and covered cultivation in other climate zones. “So we’re proud that we’re working with a partner like Philips. It means that we can give growers greater confidence and offer them certainty for the future,” says van Dijk.
Sharp increase in popularity of LEDs for rose cultivation
Rose growers are showing plenty of interest in Philips GreenPower toplighting. Last year rose nursery Wimceco and flower nursery Scheers in Belgium invested in LEDs to supplement their HPS installation. LEDs improve crop quality and production and give the option of using lighting on dark days in the spring and summer. The Dutch rose nursery Porta Nova specifically anticipates an improvement in quality in its trial. At the Delphy Improvement Centre in Bleiswijk research is being conducted into 100% LED lighting for roses.
Tine van de Werken new CFO Dümmen Orange
This partnership isn't the only change at Dümmen Orange. The company announces that Mrs. Tine van de Werken will join Dümmen Orange as new Chief Financial Officer. After a transition period of 1 month she will take the helm from Roger Gerritzen who has been the company CFO for the last 6 years. Roger will continue as the Head of Mergers & Acquisitions and Integration. He will no longer be a member of the Management Board.
Tine van de Werken holds a Masters Degree in Business Economics from Erasmus University and a degree in Accountancy from VU University. Previously, Mrs. Van de Werken worked as CFO at Royal Cosun, a food company with core activities in sugar, potato products and fruit derived consumables. In her capacity as CFO, she participated in the leadership team of Cosun and led a variety of projects, like acquisitions and divestments, refinancing and the implementation of a SSC ICT and ERP projects. Van de Werken about her new position: “Dümmen Orange is a new challenge and I am looking forward to contribute in making Dümmen Orange a successful, customer oriented and innovative company.”
Roger Gerritzen will step back as CFO and continue as Head of Mergers & Acquisitions and Integration. This move allows him to dedicate more time to identify potential opportunities for Dümmen Orange and delivering the company’s objective of substantial growth through ‘buy and build’.
Biense Visser concludes: “We are glad to welcome our new CFO Tine van de Werken. We are convinced that she will add to the mosaic of diversity in competences in our company. The new role of Roger Gerritzen underlines our ambitions as a company. This is a very important development for our company.”
For more information:
Philips Horticulture LED Solutions, Nederland
Daniela Damoiseaux, Global Marcom Manager
Tel.: +31 (0)6 316 5 2969
Dennis van Dijk, Product manager Rose & Fillers
Tel.: +31(0)6 83694245
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-09-22 Tulip Experience voted 'Best Hidden Gem of the Netherlands'
- 2023-09-22 Garden centres and retail can create their own poster with Royal Van Zanten’s poster generator
- 2023-09-22 Evanthia to celebrate 10th anniversary
- 2023-09-22 Royal Brinkman and Empas extend partnership
- 2023-09-21 New service concept Plantion Shop & Go introduced in the Netherlands
- 2023-09-21 US: 1-800-Flowers.com to hire over 8,000 seasonal associates nationwide this holiday season
- 2023-09-20 Crayola and Mrs. Bloom launch Crayola Flowers
- 2023-09-20 Jimmy McCanlies joins Monrovia sales team
- 2023-09-20 Star Roses and Plants unveils 2024 woody ornamentals and edible catalogs
- 2023-09-20 Luke van Adrichem appointed as CEO of Metazet FormFlex
- 2023-09-20 Developer of mobile data centers next to greenhouse declared bankrupt
- 2023-09-20 Brian Lynch appointed as head of horti technology at Vineland
- 2023-09-20 Dutch flower grower makes gains on all fronts with new grading machine
- 2023-09-20 'Bulb Boy', Allan Visser: "We must commit to resilient cultivation with green agents and resistant varieties"
- 2023-09-19 Open day at Van der Valk Systemen to mark 60th anniversary
- 2023-09-19 Mertens is Decorum's new 'preferred supplier'
- 2023-09-18 NL: "Relocation enables growth"
- 2023-09-18 "How flexible can you be when you can only adjust intensity?"
- 2023-09-18 United Flower Growers celebrates 60 years
- 2023-09-18 "Blume2000 goes beyond selling flowers and plants alone"