- Head Grower Greenhouse Canada
- Post Entry Quarantine Facility Manager
- Economic Policy Officer Agri-Tech Kentucky
- Licensing Manager North America
- Junior Sales Executive
- Fruit Breeder/Trait Discovery Scientist
- General Manager
- Regional Sales Manager – DACH Region
- Country Manager – Italy
- Country Manager – Spain
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
David Espinosa, Matiz Roses:
Ecuador's cold nights decreases production volumes
Natalya Pykanova and David Espinosa at the FlowersExpo in Russia.
The weather conditions in Ecuador are different this year. "In the beginning of the year, the temperatures were still normal. In March we saw a slight change and in June they started to drop. On average the temperature at night is 2 to 3 degrees, which is about 6 degrees lower than usual. In turn, the difference between the mid-day temperatures increases, as these are around 28 degrees Celsius", says Espinosa. And mainly due to the lower temperatures, there is also less sun hours than previous years. "We now have about 15 to 17 percent less sunlight hours than usual", he says.
As a consequence of the cold nights, the production dropped at many farms and also at Matiz Roses; it decreased by 18 percent. According to Espinosa, they are fortunate that they only suffered from a drop in production and not a decrease in the quality of the flowers. "Some sensitive varieties do not only decrease in production, but also lose the color and shape of the bloom. Fortunately, we do not grow these varieties", he explains.
Increase in prices
And less flowers on the market means higher prices. And this also counts in this case. "Russia, followed by the USA and EU, is our main market and due to the low volumes on the market, the prices increased by about 10 percent compared to last year. However, I have to say that these prices are still lower than the prices we received in 2012, before the crisis in Russia", says Espinosa.
According to Espinosa, some showers are expected. "These showers will increase the level of humidity, which will consequently increase the temperatures during the night, where we have experienced our lowest temperature records." But he remains skeptic. "The weather should have changed two weeks ago, but it did not. So, let's see what the coming days will look like. Hopefully the weather will return to normal soon as the winter season is starting. And this is the busiest season of the year."
For more information
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-01-26 India: J&K Govt approves Rs 39 Cr mega project to boost commercial floriculture
- 2023-01-25 Carex proves to be problem-solving perennials for the home landscape
- 2023-01-25 "Khuzestan can be a hub of flower and ornamental plant production in Iran"
- 2023-01-23 UK: Nursery, registration, and supervision requirements to move or send plants for planting to the EU or Northern Ireland for non-commercial purposes
- 2023-01-23 DE: Agricultural Minister of Colombia explores opportunities for cooperation
- 2023-01-23 India: Joint Kisan Manch seeks policy for farmers and horticulturists in Himachal
- 2023-01-23 Vietnam: Tet flower sales reveal fertile floriculture market
- 2023-01-20 Italy: "Export grows, and the trade balance is doing well"
- 2023-01-20 Kenya: “We are hanging in there, but optimistic about 2023”
- 2023-01-20 Iran’s shipments of flowers and ornamental plants surge needs massive output
- 2023-01-19 Hong Kong: Despite border reopening, no budding sales mood among vendors at first Lunar New Year flower market
- 2023-01-19 US (TX): Florists prepare for a profitable Valentine's Day
- 2023-01-18 Iran: Flowers and ornamental plants export increase requires mass production
- 2023-01-18 How to market your floral industry website
- 2023-01-18 Vietnam: Exotic flowers boom for Tet
- 2023-01-17 China: Guangxi's Hengzhou grows into world jasmine center amid rural revitalization, providing 60% of global supply
- 2023-01-16 Production of flowers in greenhouses in Holland
- 2023-01-13 UK and EU work on final deal to end Brexit troubles
- 2023-01-13 Guess what the favorite colors in US are?
- 2023-01-13 "M&A activity in the floriculture sector stabilizes after long period of continuous growth"