- Lead Engineer (Horticultural Systems)
- Head Grower - Kenya
- Environmental Officer - Home based
- Commercial Manager - Fresh Produce, Kenya
- Assistant Growers - Australia
- Grower Managers and Senior Growers - Australia
- Sales Manager Europe - Mont-Ras (Girona), ES
- Global Sales Manager - Negotiable location
- Sales Manager - AIS Greenworks, Australia
- Technical Sales Representative - South Western Ontario, Canada
- Australia: Opportunity to comment on national tree standard revision (1)
- Schroll is developing the hydrangea production in Portugal (3)
- US: AFE educational grant applications due June 1 (2)
- "Plenty of opportunities to expand markets outside Russia's major cities" (1)
- Coloured by Gerbera presents new assortment (1)
- "Customers are looking for different shades of red roses" (1)
- US: Is the era of thermal transfer printers over? (2)
- India: Government gives 50% subsidy on a poly house (46)
- Southern hemisphere's largest solar water heating facility at LVG Plants (1)
- Photoreport: Horticontact (1)
US (MD): Bell Nursery sustainability efforts recognized
The Green Business Certification Program empowers County businesses to prosper while reducing impacts on the environment. The program also encourages local consumers and other businesses to consider Certified Green Businesses when making purchasing decisions.
For the past seven years, Bell Nursery has received the distinguished Veriflora Sustainably Grown certification from SCS Global Services, a worldwide third-party certifier of environmental, sustainability and agricultural product quality claims.
'We strive to do the right thing every day to benefit future generations,' said Cole Mangum, vice president of production for Bell Nursery. 'We continue to be one of a small group of big-box suppliers able to meet the criteria for this program. Receiving certification under this gold standard meant passing a multi-day inspection to prove we meet or exceed benchmarks for sustainable-crop production, product quality, employee safety, ecosystem protection, and product purity.
'The Green Business Certification Program is an umbrella program that recognizes businesses certified through a number of robust third party standards,' said Doug Weisburger who manages the Program. 'Once we learned of Bell's Veriflora certification, and understood the level of commitment the standard demanded, we simply folded it into our Program.'
'One of the things that impressed us most about Bell Nursery's commitment to sustainability was their willingness to grow milkweed plants so that local residents could plant this critically important food source for the Monarch Butterfly,' said Barbara Ashe, Executive Vice President of the MCCC. 'In fact, we were so taken with Bell's efforts that we recognized the company as 'Visionary of the Year' at our Annual Dinner.'
'Producers of Veriflora Sustainably Grown crops work diligently to provide a safe and healthy work environment, support farm communities, and protect vital environmental resources such as clean air, clean water, and wildlife habitat, while reducing energy consumption and carbon emissions,' said Lesley Sykes, SCS Manager of Sustainable Agriculture.
For more information:
Montgomery County's Green Business Certification Program
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2019-05-17 Iberflora Labs: The new space of innovation and research for Iberflora
- 2019-04-19 UK: Is our love affair with begonias and marigolds costing the earth?
- 2019-03-27 US: Efficacy of biochemical biopesticides that may be used in organic farming
- 2019-03-13 UK: New support service launched to help farmers considering organic
- 2019-02-04 How to grow flowers organically
- 2018-10-10 "Growing organic not always feasible"
- 2018-07-16 UK: Organic grower on an environmental mission
- 2018-07-06 “The missing link in the organic production“
- 2018-06-26 US (PA): LED improves production and plant quality in organic greenhouse
- 2018-04-11 Transforming St Lucia’s floriculture industry
- 2017-10-23 To dig, or not to dig?
- 2017-05-18 Ellepot introduces paper for organic plant propagation
- 2017-03-13 UK: Organic flowers blossom into spring
- 2017-02-22 UK: Organic Blooms becomes certified organic
- 2017-02-01 Ireland: Organic grower compares edible flowers with slow food
- 2017-01-06 US (MD): Bell Nursery sustainability efforts recognized
- 2016-12-05 "Resilient cultivation is not solving problems"
- 2016-10-04 Tanzania: Flower growers turn to organic farming
- 2016-10-03 US (WV): Organic growers earn plenty, but where's the local demand?
- 2016-07-13 What is the environmental impact of the Dutch flowerbulb sector?