- Head Grower Strawberries, Australia
- Growing Manager for Hydroponic strawberry producer
- Regional Sales Manager Fresh Produce
- Head Grower Strawberries, Norway
- Export Trade Manager
- Business Developer - Northern Europe
- Orchard Sector Manager
- International Citrus Account Manager
- Business Developer Water Storage - International technical horticulture
Kenya: Mount Elgon expands Charmant rose acreage
Guido Zwart at the FlowersExpo in Moscow, Russia. According to Guido, the Charmant is doing well in Russia.
Charmant is a creme colored rose variety from German breeder Kordes Roses. "It is a rose with a nice color opening and vase life of twelve days", says Guido Zwart, Sales Manager at Mount Elgon Collection. This Kenyan farm grows the variety on 8 ha in their 38 ha greenhouse in Kitale, at an altitude of 1950 meters above sea level. "Charmant has a medium head size and a stem length between 40-60 cm and is often used for weddings."
According to Zwart, Charmant is a difficult variety to grow. "Several farms tried it, but many stopped after trialling it. The edges of the flower turn brown quickly, and that is what makes it a difficult crop to grow." Also the owner of Mount Elgon Orchards, Bob Andersen, found it a difficult crop at first, but after a year of trialling, he discovered a way to master it. Right afterwards, he asked for exclusivity on the variety and received it. "We would like to expand our assortment with exclusive varieties. In this way, we can diversify ourselves from the competition."
Mount Elgon Orchards started with growing the Charmant on an acreage of 2 ha. Over the last years, it rapidly increased to 8 and they are currently adding more. "We are planning to reach about 10 ha in total. Also in the Netherlands, at their affiliated company Rose Handling Services where the roses are prepared for delivery to the customer and undergo a quality check again, they are expanding and vacancies are open."
For more information:
Mount Elgon Orchards Limited
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-09-28 Kenya: "It is not only more sustainable, the quality of our roses will improve too"
- 2023-09-28 Dream Farms takes home 12 awards during SAF's Outstanding Varieties Competition
- 2023-09-28 US (NC): Blazing Star Flowers receives grant for multi-use canopy structure
- 2023-09-27 What makes a rose fragrant: a peek into Parfum Flower's farm
- 2023-09-27 UK: Delivering flowers in Southborough
- 2023-09-26 US: Colorado’s largest flower producer to hit market for almost $10M
- 2023-09-26 "Cymbidium is a mysterious, raw diamond"
- 2023-09-22 US (CA): Eufloria Flowers in Nipomo showcase their efforts of sustainably grown rose
- 2023-09-21 US (MD): “There has to be a shift in understanding of what grows where and when here in the U.S.”
- 2023-09-20 NL: Ever wanted to experience an exclusive Decorum Plants & Flowers nursery tour?
- 2023-09-20 “90% of everything gets started under the grow lights and inside"
- 2023-09-20 Bulgaria: “Inflation isn’t withholding us from investing in technology”
- 2023-09-19 The Elite Group flourishes with multiple awards at floral shows
- 2023-09-18 Magical ASML and horticulture
- 2023-09-18 A peek inside the largest rose nursery in the Netherlands
- 2023-09-15 Floral Chain takes home 7 ribbons from SAF's Outstanding Varieties Competition
- 2023-09-15 Denmark: Phalaenopsis market enters a new era
- 2023-09-14 US (AZ): Phoenix plant nursery shows how to firescape home
- 2023-09-13 NL: Orchid grower switches to water-cooled LEDs
- 2023-09-12 US: Memorial tribute established in memory of Andy Mast