- Commercial Manager Spain
- Crop Farm Manager Sharjah
- Commercial Manager Soft Fruits
- Assistant Nursery Manager - Tasmania, Australia
- Tissue Culture Lab / Operations Manager - Victoria, Australia
- Irrigation Manager - Tasmania or Victoria
- Chief Executive Officer Hortifrut IG Berries
- Head of Operations - Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- Greenhouse grower / production manager - Brazil
- Experienced International Trade Specialist
Top 5 -yesterday
- "Australian native flowers provide a true seasonality and florists love this variety, variability in supply”
- "Stunning genetics under the tropical sun in Singapore"
- Designed glasshouse unfolds like a flower in just four minutes
- Greenhouse plastic boom blights Vietnam’s vegetable and flower basket
- Plantipp and Concept Plants scoop prizes
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
Kenya: Mount Elgon expands Charmant rose acreage
Guido Zwart at the FlowersExpo in Moscow, Russia. According to Guido, the Charmant is doing well in Russia.
Charmant is a creme colored rose variety from German breeder Kordes Roses. "It is a rose with a nice color opening and vase life of twelve days", says Guido Zwart, Sales Manager at Mount Elgon Collection. This Kenyan farm grows the variety on 8 ha in their 38 ha greenhouse in Kitale, at an altitude of 1950 meters above sea level. "Charmant has a medium head size and a stem length between 40-60 cm and is often used for weddings."
According to Zwart, Charmant is a difficult variety to grow. "Several farms tried it, but many stopped after trialling it. The edges of the flower turn brown quickly, and that is what makes it a difficult crop to grow." Also the owner of Mount Elgon Orchards, Bob Andersen, found it a difficult crop at first, but after a year of trialling, he discovered a way to master it. Right afterwards, he asked for exclusivity on the variety and received it. "We would like to expand our assortment with exclusive varieties. In this way, we can diversify ourselves from the competition."
Mount Elgon Orchards started with growing the Charmant on an acreage of 2 ha. Over the last years, it rapidly increased to 8 and they are currently adding more. "We are planning to reach about 10 ha in total. Also in the Netherlands, at their affiliated company Rose Handling Services where the roses are prepared for delivery to the customer and undergo a quality check again, they are expanding and vacancies are open."
For more information:
Mount Elgon Orchards Limited
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-06-29 Teen farmer selected as USDA greenhouse grant winner
- 2022-06-24 US: "Demand in 2022 has been more regional, more weather dependent than in 2020 and 2021"
- 2022-06-23 Local experts on the art of flower farming
- 2022-06-21 Group of managers participating in Mastercourse in the Netherlands
- 2022-06-16 Henda Flowers starts construction of new greenhouse
- 2022-06-08 New businesses promote arts, crafts, photography, and flowers
- 2022-06-07 Kenya celebrates its flower growing industry at IFTEX
- 2022-06-02 This man covered his 3-storey house In Uttar Pradesh with 10,000 plants
- 2022-06-01 Cebu farm showcases collection of rare flowering plants and ornamentals
- 2022-05-31 Hong Kong: Edible flowers sold for 50% less than imported ones
- 2022-05-26 Mariusz has a good fit with employer Blueberries Grathem
- 2022-05-26 Designing bouquets for weddings forever an honor
- 2022-05-23 Chinese rose grower finishes steel guttered greenhouse expansion
- 2022-05-20 US: Farming in the heartland at Hilltop Greenhouse
- 2022-05-20 "It's good to keep challenging yourself alongside your current job"
- 2022-05-19 Dutch propagator grows vegetables and flowers under the same (glass)roof
- 2022-05-12 "Ten years later, the concept is more relevant than ever"
- 2022-05-11 Alberta Greenhouse Drive map: a map with nearly 200 family-owned greenhouses
- 2022-05-05 Grandiflora and Royal Brinkman celebrate 40 year partnership in Australia
- 2022-05-05 "I have really found my passion in flowers."