The Oregon Lean Consortium welcomed two new companies as it launched its 2019 program year with a planning workshop on January 15. Seven diverse horticulture businesses will work together on process improvement for the next 12 months:
- Bailey Nurseries, Yamhill
- Eshraghi Nursery, Hillsboro
- JLPN Liners, Salem
- Marion Ag Service, Saint Paul
- Peoria Gardens, Albany
- Robinson Nursery, McMinnville
- Weyerhaeuser, Aurora/Turner
The Oregon Lean Consortium is a small group of companies that work together to learn lean principles and methods, and then apply them to processes in each other’s businesses over the course of one year.
The Peters Company facilitates these consortiums, delivering all of the training, materials, tools, and event coordination to bring outcomes that exceed participants’ expectations. Some results from the 2018 program year include:
- 32% productivity increase on a seedling cutting extraction and grading process
- Reduced order fulfillment process steps from 262 to 126.
- Increased productivity 108% on a greenhouse plant selecting process
“Last year was filled with exciting kaizen events and results to prove it,“ said Jonathan Villasenor of Robinson Nursery. “2019 will be no exception to the consistent improvements that are yielded from the consortium.”