The Chelsea Plant of the Year 2019 is Sedum takesimense Atlantis ('Nonsitnal').
"How proud can you be?!", says Plantipp in a press release. "This winner gives colour to the garden with the yellow variegated foliage. Atlantis is easy to maintain, good for biodiversity and becomes about 45 cm high. This Sedum is found by Hortech, Inc. of the United States and signed up for the show by Suttons Nurseries from the United Kingdom."
Taking second place is Digitalis x valinii 'Firbird' bred in the UK and displaying 90cm high flowering spikes of warm reddish-pink with apricot tones from May to October. It is said to be a reliable perennial it has a branching habit and is also attractive to pollinators.
Third is Agapanthus Fireworks ('Mdb001'), another plant form the stables of Plantipp. "Fireworks is the world's first reblooming and evergreen Agapanthus with large flower clusters with two-coloured flowers in white and blue. Signed up by Thompson & Morgan from the United Kingdom and bred by De Wet Plant Breeders from South Africa."
Peter Freeman, Thompson & Morgan’s new product development manager commented: “We’re over the moon to have our Agapanthus ‘Fireworks’ placed in the top three of this year’s Plant of the Year. It’s such a great plant! We think gardeners will love its contemporary elegance and the fact that it can be used in so many ways in the garden. It grows to about 90cm so it looks really dramatic planted in drifts in the border, and just as good in patio container displays.”
The full shortlist of the top 20 for the 2019 competition:
- Osteospermum PURPLE SUN ('Kleoe19396')
- Rosa EUSTACIA VYE ('Ausegdon')
- Rosa GABRIEL OAK ('Auscrowd')
- Streptocarpus 'Lemon Sorbet'
- Dianthus CHERRY BURST (‘Wp19 Mou01’)
- Digitalis × valinii 'Firebird'
- Weigela PICOBELLA ROSA ('Tvp2')
- Hosta 'Ruffled Pole Mouse'
- Rhododendron HAPPYDENDRON PUSHY PURPLE ('Hachmagic')
- Rhododendron 'Jessica de Rothschild'
- Gypsophila cerastioides PRETTY MAID ('Yatgyp')
- Sedum takesimense ATLANTIS ('Nonsitnal')
- Thymus 'Sparkling Bright'
- Paeonia 'All That Jazz'
- Clematis ELODI ('Evipo115')
- Agapanthus FIREWORKS (Mdb001')
- Chlorophytum saundersiae 'Starlight'
- Clematis 'Kokonoe'
- Ajuga tenorei PRINCESS NADIA ('Piotrek01')
- Nepeta NEPTUNE ('Bokratune')
For more information:
Royal Horticultural Society
Thompson & Morgan