What do you name a new tulip variety when up till now it’s only had a number? That is the task a group of tulip farmers were faced with when they were presented with a brand-new flower in the late 1990s. They realized this beautiful double tulip with peony-like blooms would definitely be a hit, but it would need a name that would evoke the same feeling this discovery did: opulence, richness, elegance, history, the kind of tulip that would grace a mantlepiece in a stately home or be the first thing to greet guests in the foyer of a country club. Looking at the reddish-purple petals with their yellow-flecked insides, and at the elegant ivory and yellow stripes that mimicked brushstrokes inspiration struck: it should be named after a famous Dutch painting. But which one?
- Key Account Manager Horticulture - Eindhoven, The Netherlands
- Operations manager - Berlin area, Germany
- Commercial Manager | Cut Flowers | Kenya
- General Manager (Horticulture Farm) | Kenya
- Floral Designer - Floral Direct. Carle Place, NY (Long Island, USA)
- Assistant Cultivation Manager - Capitol Heights (MD) USA
- Market Manager - Horticulture, USA
- Procurement and Marketing Manager - Kenya
- Head Grower - Bahrain
- Quality Assurance Manager - (Victoria, NSW or Tasmania) Australia
Top 5 -yesterday
- China: 25,641 visitors for Flower Expo Asia 2020
- Dutch rose grower achieves higher production, improved quality with dedicated light recipe for roses
- North America: Dümmen Orange adds growing specialist to organization
- Tambuzi achieves Carbon Neutral Gold Standard and joins UN Climate Neutral Now Initiative
- Guatemala: Vita Farms gives back on 10th Anniversary
Top 5 -last month
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2020-07-06 The Founding Fathers’ favorite flowers
- 2020-07-01 Data shows that viewing a flower promotes recovery from psychological stress
- 2020-06-30 Taiwan: New spray dyeing technology to let the Phalaenopsis industry survive?
- 2020-06-11 The band that holds flowers together
- 2020-06-11 US (NY): Canceled tulip festival donates hundreds of flowers to senior living community
- 2020-06-05 June is National Rose Month
- 2020-06-04 Hippy Psychedelic Roses come with "free peace and love in every box"
- 2020-06-02 Ukraine starts official investigation against imports of fresh cut roses
- 2020-05-13 The story behind a rose that blooms at Disneyland
- 2020-05-13 "We had to cut production to just 30 percent"
- 2020-05-06 Tulip Nachtwacht – A Dutch master in bloom
- 2020-05-04 NL: Cor Middelkoop about the orchids in the Beatrix Pavilion
- 2020-04-29 USA (MI): Mayor asks not to come to Holland
- 2020-04-21 "Now, it is even more important to have a good vase life"
- 2020-04-06 The importance of flowers during challenging times
- 2020-03-20 US: Natural Fragrance Rose available soon at retail stores nationwide
- 2020-03-19 Special storage boxes as a solution to reduce cut flowers waste
- 2020-03-18 Neanderthals may have used flowers in death rites
- 2020-03-17 Game of Thorns – Round #3 voting
- 2020-03-17 Confiscation illegal carnations from Ecuador at Schiphol Amsterdam Airport