This guide has been translated from the original publication in agreement with PCS - Ornamental Plant Research, a research station in Destelbergen, Belgium.
Within it, you can find out more about what happens to fertilizers in the soil and understand how to choose the correct fertilizer and method of application, how to adjust soil pH, and options for increasing organic matter content. The guide addresses both the requirements for delivering high-quality plant products and the need to minimize fertilizer leaching into the environment. It covers a number of topics including:
- The importance of nitrogen and phosphorus for plants and the environment
- Why take a soil sample?
- How to put fertilizer advice into practice
- Adjusting the soil pH to the required level
- Adjusting the organic matter content of the soil to the correct level
- Nitrogen and phosphorus fertilisers
- Applying fertilizers