The building that formerly housed the Newton Centre Woman's Club is now a local, women-owned flower shop that is restoring historic garden-inspired influence to the Piccadilly Square building.
Derby Farm Flowers & Gardens, a European-style florist and gift shop in East Arlington owned by Sonia Lackey and Lucinda Redd Chrislip, has opened its second location at 1280 Center Street, a building that dates from about 1930 and was owned by the Newton Centre Woman's Club until 1972.
The Newton Centre Woman's Club was part of a popular movement among American women that began in the 1870s and lasted through the 1920s. Clubs were formed around interests and issues including social reform, literary and musical societies, gardening, and beautification.
These clubs eventually became the primary organizing vehicles for women's activism throughout the United States. Participants were largely responsible for progress in the abolition of slavery, women's suffrage, support of war efforts, and even establishing a national park system.
Read the complete article at www.patch.com.