- Business Controller - Finance, Chile or Mexico
- Sales Representatives - Southern USA
- Lead Grower - Stevensburg (VA) USA
- Assistant Crop Manager - Tasmania
- Post-Harvest Quality Manager - Europe
- Farm Operator - Kearny (NJ) USA
- Cultivation Manager - MI, USA
- Export Sales Manager (Europe Division)
- Africa Fruit Export Sales Manager
- Grower (TX)
Top 5 -yesterday
- California Summer Trials 2021 in full swing
- US: Will consumers continue buying flowers and plants in 2021?
- Cocaine trafficking through Dutch flower auction; Criminal gang busted
- Sweden: “It is a challenge to get chrysanthemums for Midsummer celebrations”
- Watch the new corporate film from Beekenkamp Group
Top 5 -last week
- Benary expands its Chinese activities
- “New Bulb Planting Systems sold out in NL, already interest from other countries”
- “The first system that can measure photosynthesis without damaging the plant”
- Impression WF&FSA's 2021 Floral Distribution Conference
- "Matthiola trials show a breeding breakthrough"
Top 5 -last month
- Schneider welcomes two new members to the team
- Creekside Greenhouses joins forces with Bloomchampion International for new Hydrangea genetics
- NL: 300 kilos of cocaine in a flower shipment from Quito
- Innovative vacuum container slows down aging of flowers, provides new shipping opportunities
- Photo Report: Breeders opening their doors
Cultivation Manager - MI, USA
Reports To: Facility Operations Manager
Division: Grow + Production
In the performance of their respective tasks and duties, all employees are expected to conform to the standards of conduct and performance as outlined in the Employee Handbook.
The Cultivation Manager is responsible for setting strategic direction and overseeing cultivation facility operations including processes and procedures within propagation, vegetation, and flowering cycles, and the pre-harvest phase. Through the Assistant Cultivation Manager, the Cultivation Manager will provide oversight of all Cultivation Associates and ensure that the facility is safe and compliant with all applicable regulations at all times. Additionally, the Cultivation Manager is responsible for ensuring all company policies are upheld and all company-provided standard operating procedures are adhered to. This ensures the quality of product meets or exceeds standards.
Direct Reports: Assistant Cultivation Manager, Cultivation Supervisors, Cultivation Associates
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES
Duties include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Plan and execute on strategic direction of cultivation facility consistent with direction from Management and in alignment with Company goals
- Develop and execute forward-thinking plans for cultivation facility to include expansion, integration of new technologies, and adaptation of processes to improve efficiencies and decrease costs
- Design and implement a cultivation schedule aimed at utilizing the full potential of the facility to produce consistent, high-quality cannabis and ensure the needs of plants are being met at all times
- Identify nutrient deficiencies and environmental problems, providing and implementing immediate solutions, and tracking and analyzing the outcomes of those solutions
- Train and manage Assistant Cultivation Manager, Cultivation Supervisors, and Cultivation Associates in appropriate and approved cultivation methods, processes, and procedures
- Supervise and manage Assistant Cultivation Manager, Cultivation Supervisors, and Cultivation Associates, ensuring proper scheduling of staff with adequate coverage to address cultivation needs
- Develop fertilization, irrigation, and feed schedules, and enforce adherence to those schedules
- Develop and implement an integrated pest management (IPM) plan in accordance to state and local rules and regulations
- Ensure proper execution of established cultivation standard operating procedures (SOPs), coordinating with the Facility Operations Manager to update procedures as necessary
- Ensure needs of plants are being met at all times, overseeing the daily activities relating to proper light intensity and positions, irrigation, fertilization, plant maintenance, sanitation, and equipment functionality
- Oversee proper techniques related to cultivation, including but not limited to transplanting, pruning, defoliating, watering, and feeding
- Perform daily quality inspections of plants and their environment, immediately identifying and resolving problems
- Maintain functionality of equipment and the facility, making minor repairs and spearheading larger repairs and equipment replacement, as needed
- Ensure proper inventory of cultivation supplies, including light bulbs, grow media, and nutrients, and place orders for supplies with the Facility Operations Manager
- Implement and adhere to cultivation schedules by consulting vegetative plant inventories daily to ensure that sufficient numbers of healthy plants are being prepared for the flower process
- Schedule harvest of plants with the Postharvest Manager, based on cultivation schedule and plant maturation
- Coordinate harvest times with the Postharvest Manager, ensuring harvests are adequately staffed
- Perform employee trainings for Cultivation Associates at the time of onboarding and anytime that a procedure is adjusted or implemented
- Collaborate with Facility Operations Manager to update SOPs in identifying and addressing plant-specific issues, environmental issues, and climate control, and coordinate the harvesting of plants
- Ensure proper labeling, tagging, and traceability of plants, including plant counts, both physically and in METRC, and correct plant inventory discrepancies immediately
- Enforce all safety regulations and use of required PPE
- Assist with calculating production yields and determining areas of improvement for each harvest
- Facilitate inspections, whether initiated internally or through a governing entity, using inventory and compliance audits
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Regulations require that incumbent be at least 21 years of age and able to obtain and maintain state marijuana work credentials
- Horticulture degree is preferred
- High School diploma or equivalent is required
- Cannabis experience is preferred
- At least five years of relevant work experience in a hydroponic vegetable production or bedding plant production facility is desired
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, specifically Excel
- Experience with automation systems
Required Knowledge and Skills:
- Ability to adapt to changing priorities
- Ability to communicate clearly and accurately
- Ability to initiate and follow through on work independently
- Ability to train staff
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Able to maintain confidentiality
- Basic plant structure knowledge preferred
- Decisive, with ability to exercise independent judgment
- Delegation and the ability to perform well under pressure
- Experience in horticulture, crop management, and cultivation mechanical systems, plumbing (including irrigation systems), and electrical
- Knowledge of medical marijuana regulations preferred
- Professional demeanor, strong work ethic
- Proficient written and verbal communications skills
- Proven ability to develop and maintain a positive team environment
- Proven efficiency and ability to prioritize and manage time and task for self and others
- Proven problem-solving skills with ability to analyze situations, identify existing or potential problems, and recommend solutions
- Strong computer skills for data entry and analysis is required
- Strong ethics and sound judgment
- Understanding of and ability to oversee and manage all production cycles in large-scale agriculture
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Warehouse environment with artificial lighting and ventilation
- Potential for mold exposure.
- Potential for allergic reaction to or hypersensitivity to the marijuana plants
- Carbon dioxide (CO2) may be encountered. CO2 can displace oxygen at high concentrations. CO2 exposure can cause symptoms such as headache, dizziness, rapid breathing, and increased heart rate; in extreme cases, unconsciousness and death can result.
- The warehouse is properly ventilated, however, marijuana cultivation produces ozone from the chemical reaction of nitrogen oxides and volatile organic compounds, such as terpenes that are given off from the marijuana plant. Terpenes and nitric oxides can be associated with eye, skin and mucous irritation. In some people, ozone can cause decreased lung function and/or exacerbate pre-existing health effects, especially in workers with asthma or other respiratory complications. PPE in the form of respiratory protection may be recommended in certain parts of the warehouse.
Other potential environmental hazards:
- Corrosive chemicals
- Flammable/combustible liquids
- Wet walking/working surfaces
- Working at heights
- Machines and hand tools
- Confined spaces
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to perform grasping, lifting, walking, standing, talking, hearing, seeing and repetitive motions.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: VERY LABOR INTENSIVE. Must be able to lift, carry and balance up to 75 pounds (125 pounds with assistance), may include walking or standing for extended periods of time, as well as stooping, bending over and/or crouching. Moderate to loud exposure to noise level.