Top 5 -last month
Floriculture Production Planning Manager
As one of the great gardens of the world located just 30 miles outside of Philadelphia, Longwood Gardens is rooted in a steadfast mission of excellence in horticulture, education, and the arts. Across our many departments, each and every staff member creates the magic that makes our Gardens distinctive. Our team of dynamic professionals is what sets us apart, and our spirit of legacy, innovation, and opportunity is what guides us. While beauty is our heart, our people are our soul.
Longwood Gardens is seeking a Floriculture Production Planning Manager to support the Floriculture division. This individual will be responsible for production oversight and planning of the notable and iconic seasonal plants featured in our indoor and outdoor displays. Additional responsibilities will include managing our current production planning database, along with spearheading its upgrade. This individual will be responsible for directing all aspects of the seasonal crop production process including budgeting, defining crop culture requirements, planning space utilization, customizing production schedules, plant sourcing, overseeing contractually grown plants, and leading coordination and communication across Floriculture Production and Display Design teams to ensure that timelines and design specifications are consistently met.
Internationally recognized for innovative, dynamic horticultural displays, our gardens consist of both formal and informal gardens and landscapes designed by Longwood’s Founder Pierre S. du Pont and some of the greatest landscape and garden designers of the 20th and 21st centuries. Longwood currently welcomes 1.5 million guests a year. The person in this role will be arriving at a pivotal moment, Longwood has just embarked on the most ambitious capital project in a century, Longwood Reimagined: A New Garden Experience. The target opening date for these new garden spaces is 2024.
We seek a motivating leader with extensive knowledge implementing and managing production planning systems combined with a foundational background growing a diverse range of high-quality plants across a diverse range of greenhouse and outdoor environments.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A Bachelors’ Degree in Horticulture or a related field
- A minimum of 10 years of greenhouse production and planning experience within a public garden or horticulture operation.
- Excellent verbal communication, strong interpersonal and professional writing skills
- Experience training, mentoring and guiding staff, students, and volunteers.
- Proficiency working with and implementation of production planning systems.
- Expertise across a wide range of greenhouse designs and systems technology
- Extensive propagation, finished, and stock plant production experience with annual, perennial, and tropical plants.
- Specialized production experience growing large sphagnum moss hanging baskets, topiaries and standards.
Successful applicants must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Exceptions to the COVID vaccine requirements may be provided to individuals for religious beliefs or medical reasons.
Longwood Gardens is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We believe that diversity, equality, and inclusion strengthen our institution and the world around us.