Top 5 -last month
Wandin Valley Farms is 100% family-owned and one of the largest producers of fresh cherries in Australia. From our farms in Victoria and Tasmania, we provide high quality cherries to both domestic and international markets.
This is an exciting, long-term career opportunity for a qualified and experienced Farm Manager located at our flagship farm in North East Victoria. The position oversees the farm activity of approximately 200 ha, together with a newly acquired farm actively under development.
We are looking for someone to take pride in this established yet growing operation and ‘treat it as their own’. We operate with a flat structure and you will be reporting directly to and supported by the CEO/MD whose management style is to empower, not micromanage.
You'll undertake the effective operation and maintenance of farm machinery and be rewarded for your efforts with a great salary, company vehicle and bonuses. On top of that you will play a key role in the continuous improvement of site operations.
Your duties will include (but not be limited to):
- Provide leadership and assist the achievement of all objectives for site operation.
- Supervising, training and organising tasks of all farm employees including permanent and casual employees, contractors and on-hired staff.
- Maintaining and communicating clear performance targets for employees and leading by example.
- Maintaining the budget for planned maintenance, harvest and development works.
- Ensuring up to date record keeping and reporting.
- Planning and managing seasonal activities.
- Liaising with outside consultants regarding chemicals, fertilizers and machinery.
You have proven skills in orchard and people management, you are pro-active, hands-on, with a demonstrated ability to effectively meet your timelines and an absolute team player. A "safety-first mindset" is a key ingredient of your character.
You will be responsible for the day-to-day operations of the farm; with a number of employees reporting directly to you, that you will be expected to mentor and develop through a strong ethic of teamwork.
To be considered for this role, it’s important you can address the following criteria:
- Orchard management experience, ideally cherries or other stone fruit.
- Understanding of irrigation systems and practices.
- Knowledge of agricultural chemicals and their uses.
- Pruning and general fruit tree upkeep experience.
- A strong history of harvest management.
- The implementation of on-going maintenance programs for equipment and machinery.
- Demonstrated ability to manage people effectively through clear communication and the capacity to interact with others respectfully in order to develop strong working relationships that minimise conflict and maximise employee potential.
- Basic computer skills and knowledge of Microsoft Office suite to perform administrative and reporting duties.
- Tertiary qualifications in agriculture or related field and at least 3 years of relevant experience. (The position may be open to a candidate who has attained VCE (or equivalent) with significant on-farm experience.)
- ChemCert chemical handling certificate.
You must have full rights to work and stay in Australia, be willing to relocate prior to commencement of employment and/or reside locally. There is no onsite accommodation.
Wandin Valley Farms is an equal opportunities employer with a strict policy of respect within the workplace.
To apply, submit your resume and covering letter to email@example.com or call +613 5964 4669 for further details.