- Lighting Applications Specialist - Beamsville (Ontario) Canada
- (Senior) Sourcing Manager Soft Fruit
- IPM Manager - Morehead (KY) USA
- Labor Manager - Morehead (KY) USA
- Human Resources Manager - Morehead (KY) USA
- Assistant Grower - Morehead (KY) USA
- Head Grower - Morehead (KY) USA
- General Manager - Morehead (KY) USA
- Greenhouse Installation Specialist - Hallam, Victoria, Australia
- Maintenance Manager - Cathedral City, California USA
Top 5 -yesterday
- Ukrainians flock to Kiev to see flowers
- "When I walk into that production facility now operations are much calmer than they used to be"
- "Kenya’s flower growers to share Brexit pain"
- CAST: What you've missed at Greenfuse Botanicals and Suncrest
- Vietnam and the Netherlands committed to bring Vietnamese horticulture to a higher level
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
Job offer - Head Grower - Morehead (KY) USA
Position: Head Grower
Location: Morehead, KY
AppHarvest is building large-scale glass greenhouses in Central Appalachia with a goal to make Eastern Kentucky the greenhouse capital of the United States. Rise of the Rest is an investor in AppHarvest. The fund, managed by AOL co-founder Steve Case and best-selling author JD Vance, is backed by Amazon.com founder Jeff Bezos, Starbucks Chairman Howard Shultz and designer Tory Burch. Utilizing revolutionary growing techniques, AppHarvest will supply sustainable produce to consumers nationally.
Imagine being a part of a company developing over 100 acres of hi-tech greenhouses under glass. As the Assistant Grower, you will be assisting with the management of growing operations for AppHarvest’s 60 acre hydroponic greenhouse facility.
What You’ll Do:
- Manages and leads a staff in the growth, care, and maintenance of the facility’s horticulture.
- Works with biological systems companies to establish a region-specific biological crop protection program for greenhouse operations.
- Confirms the effective management of pest and disease control.
- Consults with leadership regarding future yield targets.
- Participates in budget preparation and develops a growing plan to meet production goals.
- Ensures that growing schedule maximizes production yield while minimizing expenses.
- Coordinates with the Labor Manager to plan and execute crop work.
- Consults with Assistant Growers on matters including crop and climate registration data, scouting reports, food safety regulations compliance, health safety standards compliance, and the implementation plant health plan directives.
- Manages fertilization, irrigation, and climate control needs.
- Ensures the administration of soil, water, and disease tests as necessary and ensures that proper follow up actions are taken.
- Works with Assistant Growers to maintain inventory of growing supplies.
- Oversees trials of new products prior to use within the facility.
- Manage record keeping of growing techniques to review and identify opportunities for improvement.
- Oversees the training of new employees and techniques.
- Verifies that records and reports are accurate and up to date.
- Problem Solving/Analysis
- Results Driven
- Decision Making
- Collaboration Skills
- Detail Oriented
- Verbal & Written Communication Proficiency
- Records Management
- Undergraduate degree in Horticulture, Agriculture, or equivalent experience.
- Minimum five years experience in horticulture.
- Knowledge of PRIVA and experience with technical greenhouse systems.
- Knowledge of horticultural pests and diseases identification.
- Familiarity with industry food and health safety standards.
- Pesticide License or Assistant’s License.
- Experience in greenhouse growing facilities preferred.
- Previous experience as a Head Grower or Assistant Grower is a plus.
- Advanced degree in Horticulture, or Agriculture a plus.
- Must be capable of lifting up to 30 lbs.
- Literacy with MS Office products.
Our Core Values:
- Passion. Heart and energy fuels every aspect of your work.
- Grit. Ability to see and embrace challenges with courage and resolve; embodies an overall strength of character.
- Radical Transparency and Trust. From our people to our produce, we operate openly, honestly and with the utmost integrity.
- Dedication to Excellence. Good is not in our DNA. Always strive for exceptional - nothing less.
- Dedication to Sustainability and Positive Impact. Embrace long-term thinking. Drive positive environmental change in the agriculture industry and aim to improve lives within our communities at large.
- Continuous Improvement. Aim for 10x improvement. Challenge your team to take exponential leaps, not incremental improvements.
- Collaborative Leadership. Takes initiative in seeking opportunities to optimize team effectiveness and strengthen team culture.
- Proactive and Resourceful. Takes full ownership and responsibility for actions. Embodies a “we can figure it out” mentality, and challenges any notion claiming “this can’t be done”.
- Entrepreneurial Mindset. Not afraid to take lead on tackling big problems through rapid experimentation.
Occasional local day travel may be necessary.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Competitive salary.
- Full medical, dental, and vision insurance.
- 401(k) match.