- Product Developer - Italy
- Commercial Manager | Fresh Produce | Kenya
- Technical sales Specialist North Europe (Benelux - Germany)
- Technical sales specialists Florida, Virginia, North Caroline, South Carolina, Texas, - USA
- Business Development Manager Spain
- Director of Operations - Ethiopia
- Product Manager Premium Beans - Rotterdam, NL
- Crop Consultant - Canada
- Market Access & Quality Systems Manager | Fruit - Bologna, Italy
- Corporate Account Manager - Chilliwack (BC) Canada
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
Greenhouse Technician UNH, Durham, NH, USA
Title: Greenhouse Technician
Location: UNH, Durham, NH
Department: UNH COLSA Dean's Office - Life Science & Agriculture [UBDEAN]
Posting Number/Job Order #: PS1305FY19
Summary of Position:
The UNH Macfarlane Greenhouse facility, part of the NH Agricultural Experiment Station, supports sophisticated, technical, and valuable horticultural research, in addition to being a significant resource for teaching and outreach to our local communities and horticultural professionals across the country. A commitment to continuous improvement in the facility and wide diversity of research combines to create a highly dynamic work environment. The Greenhouse Technician works closely with the Manager to meet the needs of researchers, educators, and students. The Technician needs to draw on a diverse skill set to meet the evolving needs of the facility and ensure the smooth transition of projects from conception to completion. Plant research
often requires the temporary fabrication of structures and equipment tomeet the demands of the experiment. The Technician should be selfmotivated and comfortable using a wide range of tools and materials to help achieve these goals. The position requires a positive-approach to problem solving and high level of communication with the Manager and the users of the facility. The Macfarlane Greenhouse facility is committed to a sustainable approach to greenhouse pest management.
The Technician position is an integral part of this commitment. A working knowledge of pest scouting, biological control release, and compatible pesticide application is an essential part of the position.
Additional Job Information:
Acceptable minimum level of education: Associate's
Acceptable minimum years of experience: 2 years
Other minimum qualifications:
Knowledge of greenhouse operation and management. Ability to operate, maintain, and perform basic repairs to greenhouse machinery and equipment. Personal computer competence with MS Word, and Excel. Ability to establish and maintain effective communications and working relationships with faculty, staff, students, and the general public. Sufficient strength and physical dexterity to perform duties and responsibilities of this job, including heavy lifting, stand for long periods of time, and work in a warm environment (90+ degrees in the Summer months). NH Private Pesticide Applicator Permit required within 6 months from position start date.
Additional Preferred Qualifications:
Preferred - Associate’s degree in Environmental Horticulture or relatedcurriculum, plus four or more years of practical work experience in a greenhouse environment; or a Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Horticulture or related curriculum, and two years of practical work experience in a greenhouse environment. Experience with Integrated Pest Management, basic soil testing techniques (pH/EC), fertilizer injectors (calibration and preparing stock solutions), plant propagation/young plant production (seed and vegetative). Plumbing and basic electrical skills, as well as a demonstrated ability to keep accurate and timely work records. Experience with growth chambers.
Duties / Responsibilities:
• Maintenance of research and teaching plant material, including watering, fertilizing, pruning, propagation.
• Understand and apply the principles of Integrated Pest Management.
• Scouting for insect, disease, and weed infestations. Identification of insect pest species and monitoring of pest populations.
• Application and release of chemical and biological materials for the management of insect, disease, and weed pests.
• Assist faculty, staff, and students in research projects; may include fabrication, installation, maintenance and repair of mechanical
components, equipment, and related devices, application of chemicals or biological materials.
• Operate environmental control equipment. Determine settings and specified ranges for heating, ventilation, humidification, irrigation, and
specialized environmental control software.
• Greenhouse facility maintenance, including installation, maintenance and repair of specialized heating, ventilation, and irrigation equipment.
• Data entry and record keeping in various computer-based formats such as MS Word and Excel.
• Test media for evaluation of pH and soluble salts. Collect and prepare potting media and plant tissue samples for processing and testing. Record data.
• Operate and calibrate fertilizer injection equipment. Prepare fertilizer stock solutions.
• Operate, maintain, and calibrate test instruments, spraying equipment.
• Understand the appropriate use and maintenance of various types of personal protective equipment.
• Assist in the planning and production of plant stock for the annual Spring Greenhouse Open House.
• Advise and supervise Work Study/Hourly students as required.
• Perform other related duties as assigned.
Salary is complemented by a comprehensive benefits package which includes medical, dental, retirement, tuition, and paid time off.
Percent Time Information (FTE): 1.00
The University of New Hampshire is a major research institution, providing comprehensive, high-quality undergraduate programs and graduate programs of distinction. UNH is located in Durham on a 188-acre campus, 60 miles north of Boston and 8 miles from the Atlantic coast, and is convenient to New Hampshire’s lakes and mountains.
There is a student enrollment of 13,000 students, with a full-time faculty of over 600, offering 90 undergraduate and more than 70 graduate
Posting Open to Internal Candidates Only?: No
Interested Internal Candidates Exist?: No
Job Category: Hourly Staff (Non-Exempt)
Appointment Type: Regular
Equipment/Instruments: ARGUS Environmental Control System. Conviron PGR15 growth chambers.
DOT Safety Information: None applicable
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/1488561
The University System of New Hampshire is an Equal Opportunity/Equal Access/Affirmative Action employer. The University Systemis committed to creating an environment that values and supports diversity and inclusiveness across our campus communities and encourages applications from qualified individuals who will help us achieve this mission. The University System prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, veteran status, or marital status. Application by members of all underrepresented groups is encouraged. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the U.S.