Job offersmore »
- National Nursery Manager - Melbourne, Australia
- Lighting Applications Specialist (Horticulture) - Beamsville, Ontario, Canada
- Gärtner für den konventionellen Gemüsebau - Austria
- Expert vegetable farm manager/master grower seeking for his next position
- Horticulture Advisor - The Hague, the Netherlands
- Growing Manager - Victoria, Australia
- Service Engineer - Almeria, Spain
- Horticultural Consultant - Sydney, Australia
- Technical Assistant - East Malling (Kent), UK
- Greenhouse Controls Technician - Australia
Last commentsmore »
- India: Government gives 50% subsidy on a poly house (828)
- Will sea freight be an alternative to Latin American air freight? (7)
- "25% annual production growth Mexican phalaenopsis" (2)
- Preview FlowerTrials 2017: Novelties highlighted (1)
- India: The story of KF Bioplants (1)
- "Nursery industry shines at blossoming international floriculture trade" (1)
- "Horticulture in Iran can be an alternative to petroleum" (5)
- Netherlands 50 million stems a year at V.d. Berg Roses (1)
- Update from Dümmen Orange infected begonia cuttings (1)
- US: Congressman visits florist (1)
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
US (IA): Plantpeddler presents poinsettia variety day resultsPlantpeddler, located in Cresco, Iowa, conducted a trial of over 120 commercial and pre‐release Poinsettia varieties. Variety Day was hosted the week of Dec. 4 with representatives of all major breeders from Europe to Asia, broker representatives, and growers in attendance. The trial was produced under natural season commercial production protocol. Mike Gooder, president of Plantpeddler said “It’s important to do a Poinsettia production trial as a way for the industry and our growers to see how varieties perform in real world greenhouse conditions.”
Genetics represented were submitted by Beekenkamp, Dummen Orange ‐ Ecke and Red Fox, Rinehart Poinsettias, Selecta, Suntory, Syngenta, and Vivero. Plantpeddler is licensed by all the represented breeders and prides itself on being a one‐stop shop for premier Poinsettia liners. “We have a real commitment to trialing as part of our leadership position in Poinsettias, and this represents the leading northern USA trial,” said Mike as to why Plantpeddler conducts their Poinsettia trial.
The trial was in peak condition for the evaluation, but did face weather challenges during production including extremely warm temperatures from mid‐September through initiation, followed by 22 of 25 days with no sun during bract development in late October to mid‐November. As a true production trial, the tested varieties were grown within a block of benchmark commercial varieties with the same treatments and environmental conditions.
Trial attendees voted using a three flag system for “Best Red Variety” and “Best Non Red Variety” with a 3, 2, 1 point scoring. The results are as follows:
Mark your calendars now for next year’s Plantpeddler Poinsettia Variety Day trial event on Thursday, December 6, 2018.
For more information:
530 Second Avenue SW
Cresco, IA 52136
Publication date: 1/3/2018
Other news in this sector:
Leave a comment: (max. 500 characters)
- All comments which are not related to the article contents will be removed.
- All comments with non-related commercial content, will be removed.
- All comments with offensive language, will be removed.