Announcements

Job offersmore »

Tweeting Growers

Last commentsmore »

Top 5 - yesterday

  • No news has been published yesterday.

Top 5 - last week

Top 5 - last month

Exchange ratesmore »




NL: 2.5 ha new building OK Plant opened

"Over the past 10 years we kept on growing, whereby each expansion was never cost driven, but always was done at the request of our customers." Revealed Rob Olsthoorn, director of OK Plant. The highlight in this process came at the end of 2015 with the decision to build a new greenhouse of 2.5 hectares. On February 2, with great interest from customers, colleagues, suppliers and acquaintances, a festive opening was held.


Rob Olsthoorn

The greenhouse was built and equipped with the latest technology by players ‘from the mushroom league of the Dutch horticultural sector’: Technokas built, Logics took care of the internal transport, Boekestijn the electrical systems, Fog-System the fogging system and PDI the screens (including an outside screen on the old greenhouse).


A toast was made

An average of 90,000 Little Kolibri Orchids are processed on a weekly basis. These are mainly 2-stems and 3-stems plants, for a small part 1-stem and also the necessary 'specials'. Every week about 600 trolleys, or 5 trucks a day, leave the company. OK carries about 120 varieties, all in 9 cm pots and under the brand name Little Kolibri. About 90% of these find their way abroad: England, Germany, Belgium, France, Italy, the Scandinavian countries, Switzerland and Austria, Poland and Russia; the remaining 10% stays here. In addition, depending on the season, primroses, campanulas, asters and cyclamen are also brought in on 2 hectares.


View in the new building, primarily intended for propagation

Rob, who is also the chairman of the crop cooperative orchidee and also of producer organization Addenda - along with Desiree Olsthoorn started their potted plant nursery 27 years ago and are clearly proud of it. The grower has, with the new building, but certainly also with the recent nomination for the Horticultural Entrepreneur's Prize, placed himself firmly in the spotlight. Cultivation is done according to the principles of Next Generation Growing, they are involved in the geothermal project Oranjepolder and the greenhouse is linked to the CO2 network of OCAP. The jury also praised the commitment to the personnel and the appointment of five employees as partners, with which more involvement is created. In addition, with the expansion of the Kolibri brand, the clear focus on the mini-niche and the conception of all kinds of concepts and added value, with which customers concretely see their sales go up, the company is doing all it can to promote itself.


Thijs van der Valk and Desiree Olsthoorn

To give the evening some additional cachet, two guest speakers were invited: Albert Top from retail consultancy firm Crossmarks and Frank van der Heide, director of Tuinbranche Nederland. Both presented their insights on the future of retail, the trends they perceive coming and the assumed transitions that store and consumer will go through.


Left Albert Top, right Frank van der Heide

Missed the evening but still curious about the new greenhouse? This Saturday, the grower organizes an open day from 10am to 3pm.

For more information:
OK Plant
Thijs van der Valk
Baakwoning 5
2671 LE Naaldwijk
M: +31 6 24 40 08 85
E: thijs@okplant.nl
www.okplant.nl

Publication date: 2/5/2018

 


 

Other news in this sector:

6/15/2018 GreenTech: quick start for 2019 edition
6/15/2018 NL: First edition Garden Trials and Trade in pictures
6/15/2018 Global interest in Orchid Inspiration Days
6/15/2018 US based young plant grower mobilizes aid to Guatemala
6/15/2018 British Flowers Week at the Garden Museum
6/15/2018 'Easy' was the word at FlowerTrials 2018
6/15/2018 US (LA): AAS and NGB announce Summer Summit 2018
6/15/2018 European agriculture through the eyes of young Chinese farmers
6/14/2018 Internationally oriented GreenTech wraps up
6/14/2018 FlowerTrials attract visitors from all over the world
6/14/2018 US (OR): Farwest opens early-bird registration
6/14/2018 IFTEX looks back on colorful 7th edition
6/13/2018 Australia: Pest management, plant health and market access forum
6/13/2018 US: Petal It Forward set for October 24
6/13/2018 Orchid grower releases perfume
6/13/2018 It’s all tech at the GreenTech
6/13/2018 Colorful new varieties at the FlowerTrials
6/13/2018 UK: All set for a busy National Plant Show
6/13/2018 New Orchid line ILike presented
6/12/2018 What will greenhouse horticulture look like in a decade?

 

Leave a comment: (max. 500 characters)

  1. All comments which are not related to the article contents will be removed.
  2. All comments with non-related commercial content, will be removed.
  3. All comments with offensive language, will be removed.




  Display email address

  new code