Job offersmore »
- Account Manager Foodservice en Groothandel DACH - Netherlands
- Business Development Manager - California
- Head of Sales North America - Sacramento (CA) USA
- Import Assistant and Operations Assistant - Netherlands
- Farms Director UK - South East
- Agronomist to work abroad
- Export salesperson GERMANY - Barcelona, Spain
- Account Manager Zachtfruit Scandinavië en Duitsland - Netherlands
- International Editor
- Experienced tomato grower - Angola
Last commentsmore »
- Women's Day: "Russian market is growing up" (37)
- India: Government gives 50% subsidy on a poly house (1174)
- "I tested my growing media, now what?" (11)
- Will sea freight be an alternative to Latin American air freight? (175)
- "25% annual production growth Mexican phalaenopsis" (16)
- Sneak peek California Spring Trials 2018 (3)
- Milestones, lessons from Californias historic drought (34)
- Schroll is developing the hydrangea production in Portugal (2)
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Kenya: 47 people died due to dam burstA dam built to keep irrigation water has burst, resulting in a mud torrent reaching two villages in Nakuru county, Kenya. At least 47 people were found dead, with others still missing and many more displaced.
Aerial view of the mud torrent, click here for a video
Two months of heavy rain is causing havoc in large parts of East Africa. Allegedly over a million people in Kenya, Somalia, Ethiopia and Uganda are affected. To date, in Kenya alone 158 people were killed and about 300,000 people were displaced by the severe weather conditions (Kenya Red Cross). The U.N. estimates 580,000 Somalians to suffer from the rain, in Ethiopia this number should be around 160,000.
The dam, one of a view in this area, is build by Solai farms, a major rose grower close by. According to locals, the dam was of poor quality and leaking prior to the disaster. Worries about its capacity were uttered before, making the question as to weather or not the company's owner, mr. Patel Mansukul, can be held accountable compelling.
For more information, see this extensive update at Reuters.
Publication date: 5/11/2018
Other news in this sector:
Leave a comment: (max. 500 characters)
- All comments which are not related to the article contents will be removed.
- All comments with non-related commercial content, will be removed.
- All comments with offensive language, will be removed.