Job offersmore »
- Hydroponic Crop Manager - Tahiti
- Manager Operational Excellence - El Salvador
- Area Manager North Europe - The Netherlands
- Senior Veredelaar Bloemen
- Consultant - Head of Sales or Greenhouse Owner
- Consultant - Head Grower of Greenhouse
- IPM Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Labor Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Assistant Farm Manager - Australia
- New Product Development Assistant Manager
Last commentsmore »
- Eurovision winner to baptize Jamala tulip at Flower Expo Ukraine (1)
- India: Government gives 50% subsidy on a poly house (1230)
- Cool night temperatures induce crown buds in garden mums (1)
- Kenya: Cut flower exports up 16 percent (1)
- Fertil improves its biodegradable pots (1)
- Daylily flowers help China's anti-poverty campaign to bloom (2)
- Parfum Flower Company organizes trip to Kenya for florists (1)
- Hydrangea Runaway Bride 'Snow White' named Plant of the Year (1)
- Influencing plant growth with LED light (1)
- Kenya: Mount Elgon Orchards expands with 2ha (1)
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
UK: "Scented pelargoniums flying off the shelves""We are selling out, and this in May!", says UK pelargonium grower Ursula Key-Davis from Fibrex Nursery in Warwickshire. Their sales are already about one third higher compared to last year and according to Key-Davis, this is probably due to the cold and long winter where many consumers lost their pelargoniums. As the weather in the UK improved, consumers started to look for new pelargoniums and the scented are flying off the shelves.
Fibrex Nursery grows many different and exclusive Pelargonium varieties, that they export all over Europe. Currently, they hold the National Collection of Pelargoniums, which means that they have the largest collection of Pelargoniums. "Our National Pelargonium Collection contains over 2,500 different species and cultivars, and we grow 400 varieties commercially," says Key-Davis. All the varieties are showcased in their own 0.5 acre glasshouse.
Part of Fibrex Nursery's National Collection consists of scented varieties; 100 scented varieties of which 30 are used for commercial production. They are growing scented pelargoniums for about 50 years now and the demand for these varieties is growing year by year. Even this year, the demand is way higher compared to last year. "The scented varieties are flying off the shelves", says Key-Davis.
And scent seems to be the focus point of the consumer as there does not seem to be a clear demand for a particular color. "Across the board, all colors are doing well."
Last year was already a very good year for Fibrex Nursery and Key-Davis did not expect that it could become much better, but it did. But why? According to Key-Davis, it is probably because of the bad weather in the UK last winter. Last winter, we have had a lot of snow with frosts, so many people lost their pelargonium that they planted in their garden. So now, they are looking for new ones, I think."
For more information
Fibrex Nursery LTD
Tel: (01789) 720788
Fax: (01789) 721162
Other news in this sector:
Leave a comment: (max. 500 characters)
- All comments which are not related to the article contents will be removed.
- All comments with non-related commercial content, will be removed.
- All comments with offensive language, will be removed.